Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Volume subtraction

cityjack

Good morning all,

I need to know how to take a part, insert it into another solid part and subtract the interfering volume to create a new part. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice Easter all.

Jack

hello Jack,

I do this task using an ECG or copy geometry. Take a container for example. In the drawing you want to show the container with it's co-injected rubber plus the volume of fluid in ounces.The top down model is the general shape of the container. Offset a surface to derive the inside or b-side geometry (where the fluid starts).

container00.prt < the skeleton
container01.prt < the plastic container minus the rubber
container02.prt < the co-injected rubber
container03.prt < the inside fluid molded as a solid.
(on this part you can convert volume in cubic millimeters to fluid ounces if necessary.

This above method is a more mature technique for doing what your trying to do in the future. Now to answer your question... use the merge feature in assembly mode to accomplish your task.
Edited by: design-engine

I don't know why I just didn't ring you up and ask you bro.

Thanks dude. Hows Chi town treating you? Lay off them RedBulls will you!

I'm out!

Oh yeah, thanks for the training again last year. :)

Chicago is still quite cold as she slips into spring with the rest of the country leading.

cityjack.... I don't recall your name from your handle... did you take surfacing training in 2008?
Edited by: design-engine

You might also want to look at using merge/inheritance to use one part to remove material from a second part.

This is a little simpler than using copy geometry but it may have other limitations:
1. model the cutter part as a solid (e.g. cutter.prt).
2. in another part (e.g. other.prt), create some solid to be removed.
3. ...then, create a merge/inheritance feature (might require AAX, I'm not sure) insert > shared data > merge/inheritance (on WF3.0). Pick the cutter.prt, place and be sure to toggle Remove Material.

I hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back