Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

versions of Config .???

jason54

Just wondering how many people use multiple sets of config files in their Pro/e setup.

I'm trying to get things figured out from when our previous Pro/e admin guy was here who had things setup a very specific way that worked great. However we have since migrated to PC's instead of Sun stations so I am trying to get things re-configured to work again. I just noticed on one of the old unix systems that he had a Config.sup file as well as the standard Config.pro files. I'm just wondering how many other version of config.??? there are out there and or what would be the best approach to using them.

Edited by: jason54

There are3 versions that I'm aware of, the config.sup, config.pro and config.win. Here's what they do:
<UL>
<LI>config.pro - This is a simple text file of options that control the behavior of Pro|E. There are dozens of options, some (like mapkey and search path) can have multiple instances, for the others, if multiple instances exist,whichever is later in the file, or in the last file loaded, takes precedent. Multiple config.pro files can be loaded and they are cumulative, one adds to the other, rather than one replacing the other.</LI>
<LI>config.sup - This is similar to the config.pro in that the same options can be present. The difference is that it must be loaded first and any options present in a config.sup file can not be overridden by options later in the file or in later config.pro files. Because of that, search_path, mapkey and other options that can have multiple instances shouldn't be placed here. This is intended for options you want to be consistent company wide.</LI>
<LI>config.win - This is different from the other two. It's the file that defines your window configuration - toolbars, menu buttons, where the model tree is, etc. It's not really editable by a text editor in my experience. These also load cumulatively, but results of loading 2 config.win files that manipulate the same menu or toolbar can be pretty unpredictable in my experience.</LI>[/list]

These files can be loaded at any time through the options dialog (tools -. options) or loaded automatically at start up. Pro|E will look for them in these places, in this order:

1. <LI>The text folder for the Pro|E installation. This is where the config.sup must be in order to be loaded.</LI>
    <LI>The user's home directory, as defined by Windows environment variable.</LI>
    <LI>The start up directory, as defined by the 'Start in' field for the shortcut used to launch Pro|E.</LI>

I hope that helps.

Those are the only two versions of config files but there are multiple locations for config.pro. There is only one config.sup and it locks settings so they can not be overwritten.

A lot of people without PDM systems use config files to control file retrieval, etc. I do this by having users set their working directory & loading the config file in that directory immediately before opening any files.

There are a lot of other files like templates, drawing set up files (*.dtl), printer control files (*.pcf) that also control Pro/E behaviot.

I've known about, used and modified the config.pro and config.win for as long as I have been using pro the config.sup was a new one, probably saw it just never registered till the other day.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies Doug and dr_gallup.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back