Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Vericut Simulation quality.

ckirchen

Has anyone had luck using Vericut for simulation of very detailed toolpaths? The toolpaths that I'm working on right now have a lot of small move and Vericut is very slow in processing them.

I think it has to do with the way that Vericut runs the simulation. It appears as if the block processing rate is constant. A block with a long distance move takes the same amount as a block with a short distance move.

Is there any way to change it so that vericut processes the g-code the same way the CNC machine would?

I have quit using Vericut because it is so slow and I don't trust it to show gouges. I have been using gouge check more. I don't know why it is so slow to process toolpaths. It used to be a nice tool a couple of revs ago but now I try not to use it for small fine detail because it takes so long to process, and you can't change the the gouge and excess tolerance anymore. At least I haven't found a way to change it. Most everything I do is small with very fine detail.

WF5 M050

Dragos, small world...you demo'd ProNC and ToolMaker for me a couple of years back. How are you doing?

I'll call my sales rep in the morning.

Cheers.

Dragos,

Iam sure NCSimul is a fine package but why should I have to purchase another simulation package when there is one already in Pro? I want the one embedded in Pro to work like it used to a few revs ago where you could set the gouge check tolerance and how it dispalyed gouges and excess material.As far as I am concerned vericut is no longer usefull to do real time gouge checking.

Actually, Vericut is an external application from CGTech. CGTech and Spring, the company that developed NCSimul are competitors.

The version of Vericut that is embedded in Pro/NC is a *very* small subset of the Vericut package.

If you want more capabilities from Vericut, they are available for purchase. Considering that, looking at NCSimul might make sense.

The native gouge check application, NC-CHECK is still available for use, by selecting the config.pro option. Not that it is no longer being developed by PTC, and it is very limited when compared to either Vericut or NCSimul.

-tsl

Indigo2,

I understand that Vericut is an external package. What I am saying is that with every Wildfire rev (WF3 to WF4 To WF5) there seems to be less and less usable funtionality with Vericut.

It's to the point in WF5 that it seem to me that it is nothing more than a cheap movie viewer of your tool path. on my system the stock model comes in red (same color as what gouges used to show up as) so Ihave to change the stockcolors every time I use it with no way to set the colors in a config file some where. and it seems to be slower with every rev also.

So that is why I am complaining. it used to be a good useable add on to Pro/Man but not any more. After paying top dollar for a seat of ProMan I don't want to spend another 5 to 10K on a simulation program.

Tool Dude,

I totally agree with you. Except that if you're looking for a solution, it turns out that an NCSimul ready-to-use, customized machine simulation wouldn't cost at all as much as you think. The extra investment could be justified by simulating true G-code instead of APT. You could also get a Pro/NC interface to automatically export your ref. model, stock, fixtures and tools (including solid tools), along with the G-code. Check it out at <a href="http://www.brt-solutions.com/ncsimul.htm" target="_blank">http://www.brt-solutions.com/ncsimul.htm
</a>

CGTech gives very good support if you contact them about VERICUT. Your issue might be caused by a configuration problem. They have local support and sales in the US and in Canada. By the way, it is a 100% US own company, they don't outsource anything, they sell the product directly.

We use their regular version, VERICUT supports all types of G-codes, turning, milling, multiple operations. Their new interface allows us to setup multiple operations at once on multiple machines.

Edited by: coolroadster

I figured out how to get the tool motion to be constant - hide the reference model in ProE before you open Vericut!

When the reference model is present, I guess that Vericut is on the lookout forcollisions. In the corners, where there is a lot of point-to-point date, Vericut has to make the calculation for each block; which slows down the simulation a great deal.

The downfall is that you can't detect collisions, but at least now the simulation is useable.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back