Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Var. Sec. Sweep question

wtb999

See the attached image. I have created the highlighted
feature with a VSS. Why am I seeing these red sections
along the sweep? These show up as edges on the top surface
of the sweep. Is there an option I can use in VSS to make
it smoother?1.jpg">

thats because each part of that surface has it's own math representation. (i guess)
the reason it happens can be tangency or curvature discontinuity of the edge upon which you have created your VSS. if you try to build it as a one piece edge, it may help.

Edited by: solidworm

Hey Solidworm

The traj for the VSS is an edge from an extruded cut. It is tangent, because I selected it as a tangent chain. However the sketch in the extrude was created using arcs and they are not curvature cont. I will try to create a datum curve on top of the extrude edge, and use that as the traj. That might take care of it.

Thanks for the reply!

Hi wtb999,
When you create your datum curve as a copy and paste feature using the geometry edge you have the option of picking "approximate" though the default is "exact". If you do this the VSS will be smoother. It may create other problems though so you may want to work on that underlying geometry edge if you really need it to be curve continuous.

Regards, Brent

Thanks Brent.

That is a good tip. Like you said, I am having a couple of
issues with the sweep intersection with existing geometry,
but they dont seem major, so I should be ok.

thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back