Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using Drawing Templates

wagwagdude

Hello,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I've been using formats for years, but recently I've tried to incorporate my formats into drawing templates in an attempt to automate as much a possible. I'm currently using WF3.0, and I've read everything in the help files concerning drawing template, which was not very much. I was wondering, does anyone feel that they have successfully implanted using drawing templates that truly automate drawing creation? Are there any online recourses for drawing templates? As with all other Pro Engineer functionality, it seems the resourced I've found are very scattered and simple.

I look forward to hearing about what WF3.0 is capable of doing

-Tim
smiley1.gif

I have a decent set of map keys already. I was hoping to help automate things like view placement, note generation, and symbol embedding. PTC, as usual, has done a poor job of implementing templates.

If anyone else has used them, please help.

-Tim
smiley1.gif

We use drawing templates regularly and they can automate a lot of drawing creation.
The way I figured out what they could and couldn't do was to set the Applications to Template and try things then save the template and see if it works.

In general our templates don't do anything related to the content of a view (such as dimensions, annotations etc.) but they are set up to show standard drawing notes, bom balloons, standard view layouts and view settings, layer settings, etc.

Hope this is helpful

Hey anwyl,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thank you very much for your comments. I've tried to play with templates, but it's a slow and tedious process. Making changes and seeing if it works can take some time.

Do you feel that it has made an improvement in drawing creation time?

-Tim
smiley1.gif

Tim,

Templates do speed up drawing creation. They aren't magic but they speed up about the first 30% or so of drawing creation - creating the standard views, notes etc.

Making drawings still takes time but we get to the important work much faster. The time invested in making templates is justified.

Anwyl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back