Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Uninstall completely all Pro-E files

bjtutu123456789

Can anyone teach me how to uninstall completely all the pro-E files from system? I heard that if you have problem during installation and need to reinstall, the best is to delete completely the previous installation and start fresh with the new one.

Windows: Use the add/remove programs. Should be sufficient.

If that fails, just remove the proefolder. To complete the manualdelete,remove any pointers to proein the'path' variable of your system. Any references to proe in registry isnota problem (there is really nothing in registry for proe unless you installed the design conferencing software).

Caddie is correct. Since Pro/E is a multi platform program, it does not use windoze specific things like the registry. Deleting the files and environment variables is sufficient to completely remove it. I don't think deleting an old install is really necessary in any case. I think that is just something people have done because it is sometimes necessary with other windoze programs.

These statements are not true at all. Pro/E makes HUNDREDS of entries in your registry. It registers all the files that it is to be associated with. This includes drw, lay, mfg, asm extensions and externsion .1 through ###.

However, these entries are not critical to the operation of Pro/E because if they are removed it will register them again "on-the-fly" when it needs to. If you really want to get rid of Pro/E then make sure you use the uninstall.

That is not Pro/E making the registry changes, it is that nasty little IE browser plugin ProductView Express. Also, it does not register *.drw.*, *.prt.*, etc. because windoze is incapable of recognizing that type of naming convention. So to get the windoze file type association it has to associate .1 through .999 with ProductView Express. It doesn't work past 3 digits, more FUBAR windoze functionality.

I don't use IE so I don't let ProductView Express install.

FYI dr_gallup - Pro/E does register "Numerical extensions up to 999 dynamically, as needed, at runtime." I never use ProductView express either but still have the ability to open Pro/E files from explorer. This is a requirement for the 'Certified for Windows' logo program.

From PTC's webstie:

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire performs file association during the installation. This allows a user to double-click a .prt, .asm, .drw, etc. and the file automatically open in the application. Pro/ENGINEER is now available in the "Open With" dialog window. If a user right-clicks on a file that was associated to these products there is an entry to "Open with Pro/ENGINEER."

The file types that are associated with Pro/ENGINEER are:

This list comes from proe.ptc file on the cd:
psf PTC Startup File
asm Pro/E Assembly File
dgm Pro/E Diagram File
drw Pro/E Drawing File
frm Pro/E Format File
lay Pro/E Layout File
mfg Pro/E Manufacturing File
mrk Pro/E Markup File
prt Pro/E Part File
sec Pro/E Sketcher Section File
Numerical extensions up to 999 dynamically, as needed, at runtime.

Edited by: bruppert

Bruppert

That's very interesting. My installation does not behave like that at all. I have no Open With Pro/ENGINEER on the RMB pop up menu. I have 1-999 already associated as Pro/ENGINEER Versioned File. ASM, DRW & PRT are all associated with SolidWorks.

Maybe SolidWorks was installed after Pro/E and therefore tooksome associations from Pro/E. I have the "Open With Pro/ENGINEER" RMB for .drw as well as .drw.# and all the other types mentioned previously. And on top of that if you remove any of the versioned file associations 1-999 when you run Pro/E it takes them back as it sees fit whichcan beannoying.

I guess the point is - there is more to uninstalling than just deleting the folder and modifying the PATH variables.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back