Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Unable to solidify *.IGES file in Pro E 5

destgir448

Dear Memebers,
I have a file with IGS extension. I need to make a cut
(hole)in it. I am unable to remove material using cut-
extrude command. Then I figured out that there were only
surfaces in the IGS file. I am trying to solidify the
model. I have followed previous discussion forums.

They say, ->right click on imported feature ->edit definition ->Geometry -> Automatic or Manual (fix)

But when I click on geometry menu, I could not find
Automatic or Manual Repair option.
The only options available are ->Collapse ->Reload ->IDD
... I have tried to fix my model using IDD but unable to
do so.

I am using Pro/E 5... Your response would be highly
appreciated.

Regards,
Ghulam Destgeer

This is a common annoyance. If the part is anything more than a geometric shape its usually impossible to solidify it.

My usual solution to this problem is to ask whomever exported the part to begin with to try various export formats and to play with the export options. Unfortunately this is not a guarantee either.

are you sure there are holes/open endsin your IGES? It might just be a normal surfacemodell that you can solidify right away?

Depending on what your colorscheme is , you will se "holes/open ends" in different color. Like for ex. if you have the oldschool darkblue background ,then open edges is yellow and closed ends is pink. If you got WF1-WF4 grey background then openends will be pink and closed ends will be purple (i think its the same in WF5)

I dont agree saying that its usually impossible to solidify it if its not a geometric shape.

//Tobias

I've run into this too. Luckily, I only needed the file for 3D printing, so Shrinkwrap worked fine for me. It's under File>Save As>Shrinkwrap but if you need to maintain your detail level, I wouldn't recommend it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back