Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

trial.txt

SKYBLUE

I have a pile of trial.txt folders in my directories. Can I get rid of them and is there a way to keep them from accumilating?

There is no way to keep them from accumulating. They can be safly deleted after you have closed Pro.

Depending on how you start Pro, you can edit the proe.bat file to add a line to delete trail.txt* files before starting Pro. PTC has a list on their website of the temp file extensions that can be deleted daily.

Pro/E creates a trial file for every session that you open. It's basically a record ofall you activity (keystrokes,menu choices etc). They can be editted and played back to enableyou torecover from a crash for example.
You can delete them safely once you're happy you no longer need them. I tend to manually delete them from time to time but leave the most recent few just in case.

Hello,

Looslib is correct, there is no way to keep them from accumulating. However, you can control the location of where they are created/stored. Either in the system config.pro or a local config.pro add the option "trail_dir" and give it a location, such as "C:\temp" or "P:\username\trail"

All the trails will go into this folder, that can be purged out over a period of time.

I define the location of the trail_dir in the config.sup. This way I can run a network script weekly and clean out everyone's trail files for the prior week.

looslib said:
I define the location of the trail_dir in the config.sup. This way I can run a network script weekly and clean out everyone's trail files for the prior week.

I do the same thing in config.sup but I edit the Pro/E startup batch file to purge the trail files every time Pro/E starts. That way you only have 2 on each machine because it takes a while for Pro/E to start and make a new file.

BTW, make sure the trail_dir is local on each machine or Pro/E will slow down.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back