Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transparent only with shaded disp. style?

m-d-e

I like to make parts transparent (using style) to easier see what's going on inside an assembly. This is really nice, but when changing to wireframe the parts previously changed to transparent stay transparent. They are not wireframed. This is really annoying when I, for example, want to view a sketch in a part which is transparent.
So, my question is: Is it possible to only show a part transparent when viewing the assembly with the shaded display style?

Another method you could use would be to define some of your colors to be 50% transparent. So when your in the shaded mode you can still see a somewhat shaded model yet still be able to see through it. You can find this setting in the Appearance Editor where you assign colors to models. Under the properties of each color there is an Advanced tab where you adjust the slider to how much transparency you desire.

If you like this method you can create a color.map file and save all the colors in your pallet and change your config.pro file to point to your color.map file. I believe the setting is Pro_colormap_path.

Thanks for your answer.

Seems like a good enough method. Didn't think of it. Is there a way to easily change tranparency? The fewer mouse clicks the better
smiley17.gif
. I switch between transparent and opaque pretty much as often as viewing in wireframe.
Maybe swith colour map file where the colours are transparent in one and opaque in the other?

m-d-e said:
Thanks for your answer.

Seems like a good enough method. Didn't think of it. Is there a way to easily change tranparency? The fewer mouse clicks the better
smiley17.gif
. I switch between transparent and opaque pretty much as often as viewing in wireframe.
Maybe swith colour map file where the colours are transparent in one and opaque in the other?

Well there are a couple things, one of which i mentioned and that is to define your color pallet to have some of the colors saved as transparent. Then it is just a matter of setting that color on any model at any time. Then there is also the creation of the a style view through the view manager like you have been doing. Neither one takes very long but both are saved when the model is saved.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back