Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transparency Issues

jeakes

Hello all,

I am having problems with having something be transparent instead of just being see through. Let me explain briefly. The problem I am having is that when I go to render a transparent bottle, you can see through the bottle but you don

jeakes said:
Hello all,

Is there a setting or something I need to do in order to get this effect of seeing whats on the inside of something if I render with a transparency setting.

Oh, if only it were that simple, flip a switch and the models on your screen look just like the glass object on your desk. Unfortunately, it takesslightly more effort, Assigning and adjusting appearances, lights, rooms, effects, etc. They always say it's an iterative process because every model always seems to turn out a little different. Play around with it, give it a couple weeks or so and you might hit the right combination. You didn't mention it but I'm assuming you're using Photolux. If not then you should.

I appreciate the response. However, I realize that getting an image to look realisic takes time and patience, thats fine. The issue that I am having is not my end of the rendering it is the program not showing all of the information that needs to be there in order for it to be realistic.

The image I have attached is a prime example. There is a simple cylinder with a hole through it. If the transparency was true, then you should be able to see the hole exit the back of the cylinder, and you would be able to see the line that defines the back of the cyliner at the bottom, like you see the horizon line and the shadow through the object. So my question is, is there something I am not doing (ie selecting a setting) that will enable a true representation? I hope that this explains it better. Also just for reference I am not using Photolux at this point. Is that what is needed in order to get a true transparency?

Thanks again for any help.

Forget Photo rendering in Proe, its a great big joke by PTC!

Check out Modo, you can export OBJ files and get some very cool renders very quickly, there are loads of free online tutorials etc.

There are some translations issues but depending on the level of render your after you can fudge them.

Paddy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back