Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transition (rectangle to circle)

ben@GR

I am making a part which transitions from a 172mm X 140mm rectangle to a 152.4mm diameter arc. The part will connect the outlet of a large blower housing to a 6" duct. I created the part by utilizing a blended protrusion, then converted to sheetmetal by shelling. I can model the part just fine.....the problem lies in the fact that i can not seem to be able to get the part to unbend. I've tried the "blend vertex" feature, but to no avail. This seems to be a relatively common issue within sheetmetal. Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Perhaps an alternate way to model the part so that it will unbend? Thanks.
Ben

2007-09-12_165150_transition.prt.zip
Edited by: ben@GR

Create a new empty part. Insert a copy geometry and copy the surfaces of one of the sides from yourSMT part(the white or the green side). Add a radius and then Use #insert #advanced #flatten quilt. This will produce something that is close to what you want.

Also: Set mesh_spline_surf Yes in the config.pro and go to wireframe. See the mesh? It says it is a spline surface and can normally not be unbent in proe.

File attched with a flatten quilt 2007-09-14_022614_flattenquilt.prt.zip

To shankar_me

You can not unbend this part because it is unbent already. (If you are talking about part, mentioned in my post above). To get it formed you can suppress last feature (unbend), or add "bend back" feature.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back