Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transform

nbaptist

Been so long since I had to use the transform coordinate system that I have forgotten how to use it!

I need to add a new coordinate system into a part so that I can default it into its true position rather that the mate/align it is currently using!

As I remember, I must measure from the default CS in the assy to the existing CS in the part, using the transform function under analysis-measure. This will give me the data to move and position the new CS in a string like;
1.000000 0.000002 -0.000000 -186.799020
-0.000002 1.000000 -0.000000 -1.384466
0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 11.847408

Then I need help on how to go into the part and add the above data to create the new CS!

Thanks Guys/girls

The following instructions will allow you to easily create a csys in one part, assembly or skeleton using a csys from another part, assembly or skeleton as reference, without needing to find the dimensions.

Step 1
Open an assembly which includes both the parts, assemblies or skeletons where the csys will be created in and where the csys reference will come from.

Step 2
Activate model where new csys will be created in.

Step 3
Select Insert/Model Datum/Coordinate System

Step 4
Select csys from part, assembly or skeleton you want to copy in. You can do this from the model tree.

Step 5
Select default csys from the active model.

Step 6
Select OK

Step 7
Rename csys to something that make sense.

Hi Bob,
Will/can this cause a circular reference?
When I work on a cramped assembly I normally move everything around where it looks like it will fit and then start building the housing with the internals in place. This could be gotten around with a second assembly, one fit assembly and one design assembly both with the same skel in it. I can't wit to play with this.

Chris

I Love it!
This may be the one thing that will finish my "approach".
You just made my next project a breeze.
Mind commenting on my method to see if there are any ways to improve.

0 Drop in a skel
1 grab all my off the shelf stuff and position it in space (can't change).
2 work out a part that will be the injection molded housing (shape).
4 start adding geometry to the skel to mate up the parts pass onto custom parts.
5 (new trick) some parts are bottom up or from other projects, I'm going to use this to push placement and geometry across parts.
6 refine, refine, redefine, repeat until happy.
7 cut up the housing model and make the individual parts.
8 final refinements and drafting
I can get the job done now this way, but I always find that there is a better way.

My final goal is to find a method to hide my tracks(all the features, keep availability of dimensions) to keep venders in check. We use Chinese mold houses and have found our designs have been pirated I suspect this to be the only source of how this could happen.

CRC files have been a problem until recently, this may help me further my escape from them.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back