Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

transform instead of load..

james.lynch

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've used mechanica and I'm trying to get back into it.

someone in the office asked me if is was possible to apply a transformation to an edge or surf instead of a load - to which I replied "of course" but now I can't do it!
smiley9.gif

Anyway, here is a simplified example.

Imagine this is the mid surface of a bit of sheetmetal,

View attachment 2104

What I would like to do hold the left hand side of the part and get the lower right hand side edge and pull it out exactly 25mm (approximately double the distance between the two edges) and measure the stresses..

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

James

Hi Nateweb, Thanks for the info.

So do I still load the model?

Do I constrain the edge not to move more than 25mm then apply a load or is that complete noncense? I'm not at my desk now so haven't got access to mechanica to run a test.

Thanks,

James

P.s. - nice vids by the way! :)

Mechanica will probably complain if you dont have a load. You can just add gravity or even a reduced gravity.

Thats nonsense, just make contraints and the "dummy" gravity load to appease the software.

I would fully constrain the left surface and then constrain the right surface in all directionsexcpet the one in which Iwant the 25mm displacement. I would then place a small load normal to this surface to make Pro/E happy.Past experience tells me that the load magnitude doesn't matter if the displacement is prescribed. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back