Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Thread MIlling NPT threads

ToolDude

Is any one threadmilling NPT threads with a single point tool ? If so what are you using for a model if any, or just using adatum curve and trajectory milling? The cosmetic threads in pro are pretty much useless for this as far as I can see.The threadmilling sequence only seems to be for inch and metric unc /unf threading which I have used before but now I need to do a 3/8 18 NPT. I would think this is a comon thing for someone out there.

Thanks,

Tooldude

This is a complex issue and I spent a lot of time getting this to work correctly. I make to bore the same taper and size of the minor diameter. After I do this I make a helical sweep protrusion in the bore to match the thread pitch and length. Now I have the correct geometry that I need for the thread. I make a datum curve on the sweep. When I program this thread I use trajectory and pick the curve. know that my thread is not full size so we use cutter comp and adjustr it to finish. This woeks well for me and I have been running like this for over five years.

I use a datum curve and a trajectory sequence. I will email you a zip file of the curve UDFs if you want; I am not at work today but ill be in tomorrow.

Thank you for the resonses Peterbrown77 and cncwhiz.

After doing a seach on this site I found your UDFs peter. That was what I was hoping to find.

We build molds and normally use tapping on the smaller NPT sizes but 3/8 and above are a bit rough on equipment and expensive. I have used this method before building threaded electrodes with draft but figured some out there had already done this and created udf's or some automated system for simple pipe threads.

I thinkPTC (hoping) should work on threadmilling a little more and include NPT threading as well as cosmetic threads that are a joke as far as manufacturing is concerned. They are good for drawings and bomsbut thats about all. would really like to see some threads in the hole so you could do a gouge check, but that sounds like a lot of work forlittle benefit for PTC.Enough of my rants

Thank you again for your help

You can upload files in the Files section. I think they have to get approves before they show up. There is a UDF section.

I can't seem to find it. I looked under files, udf, ports. All that is there are 3 udfs for designing ports. Help anyone?

Old thread, but I had to thank Peter for the NPT UDFs. I used them on a part today and they worked great - thank you!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back