Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

This is driving me nuts!!

edg1662

I have ran pro since rev17 and now on 3.0 and would like to know if there is a config setting or something to make it to where I DON'T have to hold the control key to select mulitple things. I will use copy surfs for example. I have to hold the control key to select more than one and if I let go I get to start all over. I'm not sure if this question has been answered already or not. I appreciate your help on this one.

Ed
smiley7.gif

AFAIK, the use of the CTRL key to select multiple things is a Windows command and not specifically a Pro-E command.

Michael

True it started with windows, Pro/E is just using this windows type functionality. But if you release the ctrl key you don't have to start over... before you begin selecting again, press ctrl down again. For instance you select a couple of surfaces, then release ctrl, spin, press ctrl and resume selecting. Or/and if you have a chain of surfaces/edges, select the first one, then depress the SHIFT key and select the next joining surface/edge, and it will highlight all adjoining entities.Then, if neccessary, you can hold the ctrl key to deselect any thing you want.

bg
Edited by: bgoettler

How were multiple object, seed and boundary,chains, etc. selectedin older Unix versions? I'm just wondering if Windoze is really the driver or both simply saw it as logical choice ...?

Hy ED

I think u messed up two things. Ok dont worry, in WF first u need to select required geometry then copy then paste, now u can select more surfaces or edges. First set the selection filter to geometry then select a surf, now go to edit>copy>paste, now u can select as much as u need. Read WF3 reference card for selection options.

Edit>copy>paste? does that even make any sense? I have not tried this cause I just hold the ctrl key down but COME ON! If I was using Proe for the first time and was going to attack it with some logic, I can tell you for sure Edit>Copy>Paste before I start selecting stuff would not be something that would cross my mind to try.

Is this true? If so, give me a f*&^en break!

My dear friend, ptc made all normal pro selection and some command sequences like windows classics. U cant start copy surface command without selecting one surface then release ctrl key and go to edit menu, select copy then select paste. Just try it and if it work then pray for me. copy surface, copy curve, composite curve, offset surface, replace surface, patch, solid or cut use quilt, all commands works after selecting one starting portion of geometry, then copy then paste, after selecting the paste option u will get dashboard and u can see copy refrence menu like portion that show your selected refrences.

View attachment 2890

u cant find copy available untill u select any geometry.

View attachment 2891

I'm able to select several surfaces or curves or what ever the case may be. I just have to hold the control key to do it. It's not a problem of copying or pasting it's just a pain to hold the control key to select several. I know I can release it move around then hold it again to select more. I was just hoping there was a setting or something so I didn't have to. It's like making a b surface before I could just pick what Iwanted. Now you have to open the curves detail window pick your first group then add them then pick the next and add. It just seems over complicated. I guess this is how it is set up to work now and I'll just have to keep holding the control key. Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this one.

The control key BS is just PTC being a PITA. Plenty of other Windoze CAD packages do not make you hold down the control key while making selection sets. AutoMAD for one. PTC is being overly literal in their Windoze interpretation. But ASAIK, there is no workaround.

I-DEAS also has a config option to have multiple selection on by default and hold CTRL for single selection.

When we switched over from I-DEAS to ProE at work several colleagues and me suffered from wrist pain for some weeks, because ProE often needs an absurd amount of clicks through way to much menu levels to get the simplest tasks done.
smiley11.gif

I wanted to change the assigments for rotating/panning/zooming to F1-F3 as in I-DEAS, which is less stressfull to your fingers, but unfortunately this can't be set in ProE ...

Selecting Seed & Bounday is simple: Select your seed surface > hold the Shift key down then select your boundary surface. Multiple Seed and Boundary sets can be produced by selecting the second seed surface whilst holding the CTRL key, then selecting the boundary again whilst using the Shift key.

Phil

Zestje said:
When we switched over from I-DEAS to ProE at work several colleagues and me suffered from wrist pain for some weeks,

This topic is now driving me nuts. Now I've heard everything - oh the sufferingwe cad users put up with. My poor index finger holding the ctrl key down for 20 extra seconds. I'll make sure I give it extra rest later.

"Now I've heard everything - oh the
sufferingwe cad users put up with. My poor index finger holding the
ctrl key down for 20 extra seconds. I'll make sure I give it extra rest
later."

I'm not talking about holding the CTRL key while selecting, but the number of clicks it takes in general to accomplish tasks in ProE, like e.g. having to click about 5 times or so just to cancel an extrude command from sketch mode...

Having the option to change key/mouse assignments won't reduce the number of clicks, but does offer users the possiblity of setting up the keys and mouse to their liking and to be least stressful for your hands.

I like the way everyone collaborated together to bring a simple question, to the brink of madness, maybe even beyond?

The simple answer Ed is that no, you cant tell Proe to automatically be in a strance of multiple select. Its a very good idea though, that instead of holding control that you could have multiple select lock. Press Control and its on, press it agin and its off.

Paddy

Hi Paddy..

if you want the CTRL key to behave the same way Caps Lock does - i.e. on or off... simply use the "sticky keys" accessibility options within windows..

View attachment 2958

I'm not really sure how useful it would be - or to be honest even if it would work with Pro E - although i can't see why it wouldn't? but hey.. it's worth a try!

Cheers,

James

Hey guys,

Maybe not for everybody, and will probably cause permanent damage to my thumbs, but I have a 4 button mouse + wheel. I've programmed the thumb button to act as a ctrl key. My right thumb is twice the size of left thumb because of it
smiley36.gif
. But at least I don't have to put the coffee in my left hand down to select multiple stuff.

vdzwaag

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back