Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

THIRD PARTY VIEWER?

Dick_S

Is anybody using a third party viewer to view .PDF's, models, etc. that are in Windchill commonspace?

Not sure why you would want to do that but you can set objects to open with whatever you want. You can also create Viewables of virtually anything you want provided you have a native application to publish them. Many formats are viewable in ProductView. PDFs, Models, drawings, etc. Even DXF and Iges. MS Office documents will open provided you have the application loaded on your workstation or other application associated to the file type.

My personal opinion is there is no need to have a 3rd party viewer.

You can you use ProductView / Creo View Lite version (if not planning to invest on Professional versions)freely available with Windchill.

We have two non-Pro/e users (field service coordinator and buyer_planner) who need to view CAD and non-CAD files, as well as MBOM data.
Our Productview feature is not enabled and our PTC sales rep has suggested Windchill Lite. I'm not sure if he's just trying to sell us more product.

Windchill Lite and Windchill Heavy are two separate things:
Windchill Heavy License : To be used for modifying CAD files and has full fledged functionality
Windchill Lite License : To be used for viewing data (as your case).

Product View is available with both licensing of Windchill. I guess he is just trying to convey that you don't need heavy license of Windchill for those users and and proceed with Windchill Lite to view data available in Windchill.

Amit

It looks like we have two unused WC seats. If I can enable productview
for these non-Pro/e users (field service coordinator and buyer_planner) I'll be good to go. I hope I don't have to pay for 10 seats of Productview.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back