Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Thickness out of range on Thicken command

gtenrreiro

Hi,

I have a few surfaces that I am trying to thicken. I need the thickness to be .01, but the program complains that it is out of range, that the minimum is .02

How can I change that default?

Thanks

View attachment 5292

Ok I guess I ll answer my own question.

It seems there is no specific way to set the "Thicken" range. It looks like it gets calculated. I am not sure what all the factors are that are involved in the calculation, but the "Relative Accuracy" setting is one of them.

To change it go to:

File -> Properties.

Then find "Accuracy" and click on the "Change" link, on the right hand side.

Enter the new value, and click on the "Regenerate" Button, and close the properties window.

Thanks

Part accuracy controls the smallest edge that Pro/E will create. There are 2 kinds of accuracy, absolute and relative. Absolute sets the absolute value for the smallest edge allowed. Relative sets that value based on a ratio to the overall part size.

Relative 0.0012 was the default for accuracy up to either WF4 or WF5 when they changed to absolute 0.0001", I believe.

The idea behind relative accuracy was to allow very fine details on small parts but not on large, keeping file size and regen times down. On large parts, it was impractical to manufacture small details anyway.

Now, it is common for large injection molded parts to contain very small details and computing power has increased to make the use of relative accuracy not only unnecessary but potentially problematic, as you have discovered.

I recommend using absolute accuracy exclusively. I have done so in my 15 years of using Pro/E.

The accuracy dialog is unfortunately quirky. It'll immediately ask you for a new value and you have to do that first, then you can select absolute from the RH cascading menu.

I wonder if that's a rounding error. I'm thinking the actual min is something like .00013, but the dialog rounds to 4 places. Try creating it at .0002, then editing the feature and entering .00014 and seeing if it regenerates.If it does, you can enter smaller values approaching .0001 to see where the actual minimum is.

Tightening your absolute accuracy would likely help as well.

Complete the feature with a value in the range, then go
back and edit the value to what you want and regenerate.
(I've had that work sometimes...)

I think the dialog must be rounding the value. But it seems to be rounding down, since .00019 didn't work either. However, I was able to just go back and edit the value after the feature was created, but only through the Edit menu. Edit Definition still let me know that 0.00019 was less than 0.0001! This is odd, because after making a similar part for testing, I could make the extrusion with no issues.

After I tightened the absolute accuracy, it worked fine. Thanks!

telecomguy said:
Edit / Setup / Accuracy

<tg>
Does this work for WF4?
I just keep getting the dialog asking to enter relative part accuracy and I can't see any option to change to absolute. Any hints?

Thanks
Steve

Steve, there is no config setting, that I'm aware of, to change a part's accuracy. It's embedded in the part itself.

Edit / Setup / Accuracy should work fine. When it asks you to enter your relative accuracy, hit enter to accept the current value. Then, in the cascading menu in the upper right, select absolute / Enter Value and enter the accuracy you want.

Enabling it doesn't mean it's used. The part will still be relative unless you change it. Also, new parts will default to relative or will use the accuracy of your start part.

dgs said:
Enabling it doesn't mean it's used. The part will still be relative unless you change it. Also, new parts will default to relative or will use the accuracy of your start part.

Yes I know, but you can't change anything if your config setting is at no which mine was when I asked my original question.

cheers

Steve

Ah, of course. I musuderstood you comment above to be saying that changing the config setting changed the accuracy.
smiley5.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back