Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Taking over CAD ADMIN

seanlittle

I am being asked to take over ProE CAD admin for my company. I am interested in getting feedback from other usersregarding how much overhead is the admin function? I have been on ProE since v11.

Background:
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

We have 2 sites running WF1( I plan to upgrade to WF2 in the near future), with around 20 licenses total. Most users launch WF over the network. A few of us with laptops will have a local install. </BLOCKQUOTE>

The one thing that concerns me is that our other site runs Intralink for all their users (ABOUT 3). My site does not run Intralink, and do not plan move to use intralink.

In the past we have not been the first adopters of the newest release from PTC, nor have we updated builds all that often.

Any input is appreciated.

Sean

Sean

Check out www.cadmin.co.uk for help aimed @ CAD Admins, particularly Pro/E admins. Also occasional blog articles @ http://cadmincouk.blogspot.com

In my experience, Intralink causes many more issues than Pro/E on it's own... but this is balanced by it's benefits (change management, etc). I applaud you for not being quick-adopters of PTC software. It's usually a good idea to wait a couple of builds. If you get a build-combination that works for you, don't worry about updating, until you see some new feature that you can't live without.

Ed

I can tell you this, that if you are a designer don't plan on doing it
100% anymore. Not so much that its hard its the interruptions you'll
start getting. For some reason, when you are labelled an
'administrator' every expects you to be an expert in every area.

Concerning Intralink that will definitely add time and complexity as it
requires routine maintenance with purging and family table issues and
also the quirks that go along with Pro/E and Intralink cooperating.

Given 20 users, you'll be busy.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back