Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

swept blend with a point at the start and end

michaelpaul

I have a swept blend I'm working on and I can't figure out how to transition to a point at my end condition. funny thing is I have an old model done with an old VSS that I can look at for reference and it works with single points at the start and end condition and I can't figure out that one either!

so i want to transition from a point to what is essentially a chamfer and then I'd like to transition back to a point.

I've attached the model if anybody takes a look at it and can tell me what to adjust. I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't figure it out.

I have a single geometry point in section 1 for my start condition but anytime I try to do the same thing in my end section it tells me I have to have geometric entities in my section for it to be valid. I never got that error for my start condition.

the only way I could get close was to simply transition my shape to a very small version of the chamfer but that leaves me with a very small flat surface that I don't want.

thanks

Michael

Attachments

• blend_1.JPG
    blend_1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 10
  • blend2.JPG
    blend2.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 10
  • blend3.JPG
    blend3.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 7
  • test_blend.prt.zip
    53.9 KB · Views: 2
we were able to figure it out, though it isn't necessarily intuitive. But since it's Creo and PTC who would want a feature to be intuitive?

I originally defined my start and end sections. I had a point as my start condition and an actual section for my end. I then went in and inserted two intermediate sections. however, even though the feature recognized my End section as my actual end, it was labeled section 2 and the two intermediate sections were labeled sections 3 and 4. I had to delete section 2 and then insert it AFTER section 3 so that not only was it recognized as the end section, but it actually came at the END of the list.

seems silly to me that the software can't recognize that a section at the beginning and the end of the trajectory curve won't be the "START" and "END" sections and that any that get inserted should be in between these two. but what do I know. I'm not a genius software engineer coding this stuff. I'm just a user.

You're a genius user. The key to becoming one is figuring out how to lie to software to make it do what you want, because some idiot programmer was responsible for the code.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back