Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sweep sketch tangent to surface

pHreaC

Is itpossible in proE to do a sweep of a straight line around a circle with one end constrainted to the circle and the other endconstrainted to be on and tangent to a surface.

If yes, how?

See picture below for the graphical explanation.

THX

I tried the variable section sweep, but couldn't get it to work.

Could be me....please try and see if it works for you.

grtz

do not know why but it is tricky to slove this wiyhin VSS

specialy using existing geom as a reference

anyway it is still posible

You seem to have got it working on the basic model. Eventually, what I need to end up with is as can be seen in pictures below.

As I can derive from your setup, I must take the circle as trajectory and the top and bottom curve from the surface as guide. I take it I will have to draw a line from circle, tangent to the surface to do the sweep (VSS).

Is it even possible to draw a line from circle to tangent to the surface, or in other words, can a line be tangent (in sketch) to a surface (not a curve)?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have no acces to ProE here, so will have to try it this WE.

Have you tried (the oooold option) "blendsection to surf" ?? Located under "insert-advanced..." I think this might be an option anyway.

Btw, in your first case, you can use "blend between surface" . Works fine .

//Tobias

Steven

at first, do not get me wrong, but I suppose You are trying to take the "thing" from its "back" side.
smiley2.gif

I mean - why do You want to refere to round? Shouldn`t be created at the end?

considering Your questions

pHreaC said:
Is it even possible to draw a line from circle to
tangent to the surface, or in other words, can a line be tangent (in
sketch) to a surface (not a curve)?!

hard one. Taking my/your previous example - not(not in the case to use it in VSS). In my model I`ve done
it in another way. I used circle trajectories but do not refer to
surfaces. I created sam fillets, convert them to construct entities and
used them as references.

Taking the pics form Your last post as a base, I suspect it should be
possible but it is not worth the effort to make it in this way =>
round/fillet surface + trajctory ===> VSS surface.

This would deliver You at least a PIA
smiley36.gif

I would first build main surface then trim it and make a fillet at the end.

p.s

Tobbo

Blen between surfaces unfortunately does not work always, and for me it does not work in this particular example
smiley11.gif

I wish it were that simple to first create the form and then the fillet. BUT if I work in this order, I do not know where my curve will end up EXACTLY.

Depending on the steepness/angle of the surface, the fillet will create a new curve with a bigger/smaller offset to the original curve.

In this case my start and end-curves are determined and must be maintained.

you might need to read this twice to see where I'm going, it's hard to 'talk/write' 3D

I will however see if I can find the 'blend section to surface' and get it to work, hope this will do the trick!!!

Are you doing this because you have imported geometry to work with or something ? It would be easier building the surface, probably in quarters, and adding the round at the end.

No, I haven't imported geometry. If I add the round at the end, I can not be certain of theexact position/location of the edge at the end of the round. It is not a simple offset, it is a variable offset depending on the angleofthe surface towards the round.

grtz

strange...but yes , i know that it does not always work
smiley1.gif

(and also that it not might be the best solution. for ex, In this casei had to do a trim feature to remove unessesary surf at the top ,you can se the blue curve at the bottom of the top cylinder)

anyway:

Have you tried building your rounds into your VSS sketch? So the VSS would consist of two arcs with a tangent line in between and your 2 curves would be the edges at the base of the rounds in your initial images. I think that would give you tangency to the straight sections, constand radii and a tangent transition.

No tiem to build it now, but if it's not clear I may be able to later.

Unless I'm missing something, can you not constrain the fillet through curves? Either curve on surface or a wrapped curve?

pHreaC said:
I wish it were that simple to first create the form and then the fillet. BUT if I work in this order, I do not know where my curve will end up EXACTLY.

2009-02-13_164512_vss-sweep-compare.zip

I tried it 3 ways:

VSS plus two rounds

VSS with fillets built in like Doug suggested

Swept blend with tangency only.

Open up the compare.asm to see all three superimposed.

I think the VSS with fillets built in is probably what you want. Swept blend would give you the next best option. Both these give you exact location at end of rounds.

TobyK

Tobyk,

thanx for making the parts. I've checked them out and got some remarks.

VSS plus two rounds: if you were to look at the model in wireframe in the front-view, you can see the round is not starting from one plane => incorrect solution

swept blend: wireframe-frontview: definitly not it

VSS with fillets: this could be a correct solution if you use ellipses in stead of rounds. if you project a line under angle to a different line and you want to end up with a round (tangential to the line), the projected line will have to be one with an ellips (again, hard to 'write' 3D :D )

I've been looking at the problemmyself for some timeand I've come up with the last one as a possible approach to my problem.

I am however still interested in the tangential surface from curve to surface thingy...haven't got that one working

grtz

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back