Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sub-assemblies within an assembly

SWDADA

in Solidworks, one can create sub assys (move components one down), dissolve assys (move components one level up) within an assembly context, is this the case with pro/e wildfire ? if so, how is it done?

also, how to i simulate assembly motion in pro/e?

Edit/restructure lets you move parts/assemblies within the tree structure. No problem moving parts up but if you move a part down below one of the references used to assemble it there will be problems retrieving the subassembly without the parent in memory. This can be corrected by redefining the assembly constraints of the component in the context of it's new location.

I believe SWDADA is wanting to know if components in an assembly can be grouped together to form a new subassembly within the main assembly. Likewise, can a subassembly be dissolved into individual components within a main assembly.

In SolidWorks, there are specific commands to do this. This is different from moving components or subassemblies up / down the tree structure. I do not know if this exists in Pro-E, or if it does is it part of the Advanced Assembly Extension (AAX) module?

To simulate assembly motion, select from the top menu: Applications --> Mechanism

Below is an overview of Mechanism design from the Pro-E help menu:

About Mechanism Design Kinematics

If you do not have a Mechanism Dynamics option license, only
the kinematics menus are available when you start Mechanism Design. In a
kinematics study, you can define your mechanism, make it move with servo motors,
and analyze the motion without reference to forces acting on the system. Use
kinematics to observe the movement of your mechanism, and to measure the change
in position, velocity, and acceleration of the bodies. See the workflow
illustration for a summary of the process you can use to study your model with
Mechanism Design kinematics.

There are two kinematics tutorials to help you become
familiar with Mechanism Design. The first tutorial leads you through a study of
a single piston assembly, including building the model, applying a servo motor,
checking the motion of the model with the drag functionality, running an
analysis, and viewing the results. The second tutorial creates a four-bar
linkage, then sets motion axis limits, uses time-conditional servo motors, and
demonstrates trace curves.

Edited by: c_thompson_68

c_thompson_68 said:
I believe SWDADA is wanting to know if components in an assembly can be grouped together to form a new subassembly within the main assembly. Likewise, can a subassembly be dissolved into individual components within a main assembly.

In SolidWorks, there are specific commands to do this. This is different from moving components or subassemblies up / down the tree structure. I do not know if this exists in Pro-E, or if it does is it part of the Advanced Assembly Extension (AAX) module?

As dr_gallop stated Restructure is how ProE handles this. The gripe most people have is you have to restructure one component at a time.
Edited by: kdem

yes i want to know if pro/e has functions to create sub-assys or dissolve sub-assys in to individual components within a large assembly mode. In Solidworks it is possible to redefine component level in the assembly hierarchy

Since I'm not a Solidworks user you would have to describe the functions you are talking about. In ProE if you have an assembly of components and you decide you want them in a subassembly you create the new subassembly using the Create component in assembly mode function (not the only way).With the top level assembly active you select restructure and move components where you want them (into a subassembly, another assembly, top level assembly. There are some restrictions that can be found in the Help under General Assembly>Working with Assembly Components>Assembly Operations>Restructuring Components. If you are looking for functions exactly like in Solidworks then no there aren't.

If you restructure an assembly and move a part down, wouldn't you want to open the subassembly and redefine its references so breaks the link to the top level?

audctrl said:
If you restructure an assembly and move a part down, wouldn't you want to open the subassembly and redefine its references so breaks the link to the top level?

Yes, you need to do that if you want to be able to open the subassembly without the parent in memory.

The same is true for ProE I believe what dr_gallop was referring to was that if you move a component from the main assembly to a subassembly you will want to redefine the references for the part that was moved if you want to open the subassembly without having to have the main assembly in memory.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back