Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

std parts folder ?

tomahawk350

I'm not sure what forum this belongs in, but here goes...

We are not using intralink for data management. I started a separate folder for standard parts. Now when I open a assy with a part from that folder it fails cuz it can't find the part. I have my working directory set in my config.pro to H:pro/E files and the path of the std parts folder is H: Pro/E file/STD PARTS. I'm confused....
Edited by: tomahawk350

Tom,

You need to create a search file. Start up notepad, and put in there the absolute path to your directories, each on a separate line. Now save it as "search.txt" or "search.pro".

Put this file in the directory where pro starts from (your desktop icon has the path to this directory under properties).

After starting proe, open this file with tools>options>click on the file name>open>apply. Now Pro can find any file you have in your directories.

Any time you add directories, add another line to the search.pro file.

You can make different desktop icons with different startup directories to start different projectseach with their own search.pro for that project. Hope this helps.

I believe you can even put the search paths in the config.pro, but I haven't been successful getting this to work. If anyone knows how to do this, please give some input.

Sip

Thanks for the help Sip. I found out that with Wildfire, you don't need a search path set. I had a search path setin myconfig.pro to H:pro/E files which apperantly prevented Pro/E from looking elsewhere for files.

You can have multiple search_path settings in your config.pro or you can have a a search path file will multiple paths set in it. You can automatically load this file through config.pro. Multiple ways to do the same thing.

I spoke too soon in my previous post. Appenently you do needsearch paths set up. I set them up in my config.pro and so far so good.

No, The folder name is Pro_E files, sorry for the confusion. And I am still having this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

still no luck, no matter what I do, it won't look in another folder for the needed component. I tried the search.pro and search paths set in the config.pro. I'm stumped.
smiley5.gif

Edited by: tomahawk350

Pro|e doesn't know where to find files, it doesn't store the location of parts within the assy file. It will look in3 places automatically (in this order), in memory (parts you already have open), in your current working directory and in the folder the assy came from (if different from the working directory). You need to tell it where else you want it to search.

There are 2 ways of doing this:

1. <LI>Add the line 'search_path H:\path\to\folder\to\search\' to your config.pro file. You can add as many lines as you wish for the folders you want searched.</LI>
    <LI>Create a search path file, as described above. Each line should be the absolute path for each folder you want searched. You also need to add the line 'search_path_file H:\path\to\search\path\file\' to your config.pro so Pro|E knows where to find the search path file.</LI>

Either method should work fine. Once set up, the second method is a littleeasier to maintain as you simply need to edit the search path file to add more folders to search.

I tried it both ways, no luck. I have the search paths set in my config.pro. Everything is spelled correctly, yet it still can't find a part in my STD PARTS folder.

thanks

tomahawk,

the total path length and each segment separately have to be a under a certain length. And spaces confuse Pro/E to hades.

I don't use Intralink either, so basically I took all related folders (anything remotely related) and stuck them under one directory (c:\pro) from My Documents\something\or another\or something else\pro and evathang was just fine! Plus, since I work from home sometimes, I copy C:\pro and take it home and replace the C:\pro on my laptop and all my mapkeys, .pro files, and such still work (Truly, a beautiful thing!)

I'd make sure the path has the same case as the path when viewing the path in Windows. I don't think it makes a difference, but it might. Also, if there are spaces put the path in quotes in your search path file or search_path command. Better yet, rename the folder to eliminate the spaces. Pro|E is more space tolerant these days, but there are still times when it just doesn't work.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back