Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Start Parts and Utilizing them.

boydt

We have a system that has been neglected for a long time, everyone here has learned to just deal with it. Our IT team can only band-aid things and we have not had a decent Pro Admin guy in years. Anyway I am trying to take the lead and fix all things concerning Pro/E. I have added more parameters to our start part model. But anytime I create a new model it does not load this. What is the trigger for this? I found the config setting to define the folder for it and have changed the model in that folder. If I open that start part I see all the parameters I want. But when I try to create a new model it seems that it is not grabbing that part to copy it. I found a mapkey that will trigger it but should this be triggered when I create a new part?
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The reason I am doing this is I have a contractual requirement to list the tools weight on this customers tooling that we design and procure. I want all the parameters to load in material density and to fill in the BOM. Anyone have a slick way of forcing the designer to load all densities? I am betting most won

Another question on the same lines.

Occasionaly I will need to pull up old models and drawings and add to the BOM, theBOMs are all dumb. What is an easy way to put all the parameters into the old models so I can easily make real BOMs?

Sounds like you already have start_model_dir set to your templates. I think you are missing template_solid_part, template_designasm, template_drawing, etc. Use the find command in tools/options and search for template options. You can specify all kinds of templates including many you will probably never use.

I set these in the loadpoint/text/config.pro but then in certain project directories I overwrite the setting if we have to use special start parts.

I commend your taking charge, it will be a learning experience.

The easiest way to add your start part parameters to existing models is to make a neutral file export of your start part and then import that neutral file into the part you need to add the parameters to. The neutral file brings the parameters along. Once you're done, you can delete the import features and the parameters will remain.

It can't be used on assemblies or sheet metal parts, however.

@dgs
thats a trick I never thougt of, great !!
@boydt
you could assign the density of standard steel to your start part, or better use material files from where you also can extract the material name for your drawing.
If another material is used, just load the correct one on top and make it current.
After all the density of steel doesnt vary much.

The neutral file technique is an interesting one. Question: If the original file has a"material" string parameter, and you import the start part as a neutral which has a "material" string parameter also, does it overwrite the original value with a default value?

For years, I have written mapkeys to add missing parameters to existing parts, and they work pretty well. Pre WF4, it requires turning off the parameter dialogue box via a config option driven by a mapkey. With WF4, the parameter dialogue box is now mapkeyable.

Many people have used the technique of loading a relations file to quickly create missing parameters. I haven't used that technique either. I think it would overwrite the existing values.

At my previous job, I was able to write a mapkey to add standard relations to the existing relations in an existing part, but it's a bit more tricky to write. You need to invoke bat files which use DOS commands to add text files together. I haven't yet recreated at my new location; so, I don't have any samples of that. Using this, I was able to establish standard parameters for WEIGHT, VOLUME and DENSITY.

I am beginning to think that having all my standard materials already loaded in my start part is not a bad way to go. It creates a drop-down list of materials "ready to go" in all my parts. There is a parameter that comes with it. I haven't yet figured out a good way to incorporate that into a generalized MATERIAL string parameter that will dynamically update when the material (and material file) is changed. Since we deal with sheetmetal a lot, thickness parameter SMT_THICKNESS is an important parameter to be able to incorporate into the MATERIAL entry in the titleblock as well.

Anyone have any interesting ways/methods of dealing with this?
Edited by: jdurston

Great stuff. That might just be enough information to make an automated material parameter callout. Thanks.

you can have as many start parts as you like.
The config.pro option
start_model_dir points to your start parts
template_solidpart to your default template
If you uncheck "use default template" when creating a new part you will see the all of them.
If the option rename_drawings_with_objects is set to both and a drawing with the same name as your selected start part exists in your start part folder, the drawing will be created automagically. This may be handy for parts like beams. Start parts can have family tables which is nice for parts with the same base

I agree that the neutral file inport is interesting and could be a prefered best practice method of copying parameters to older models that do not have them. The question or issue I have is that even though this method workswell,the parameter attributes are "locked" and I do not know how or if you canunlock them to enter information into them. Any ideas/direction on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Make a mapkey that creates the parameters that you need. Then if your missing it run the mapkey. This is quicker and easier then the above mentioned way I would think.

We have map keys for Create Assembly parameters, modify assembly parameters, create part parameters and modify part parameters. Same goes for drawings.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back