Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solid State Hard Drives

mdristy

Does anyone have any experience using Pro/E on a laptop with a solid state hard drive? I am considering buying one from Dell or Lenovo with a solid state hard drive (64GB) but I'd like to know how much better (or worse) I can expect performance to be over an equivalentlaptop with a 7200 rpm hard drive.Thanks.

They are fairly new on the market, but it is the same
technology as USB thumb drives. Except they use SATA or
IDE. They are supposed to be a lot faster then disk
drives. A lot less likely to randomly fail too.

I remember talking about solidstate hard drives with a geek friend at a taco bell in 1991.... I don't think we called it that tho. l
Edited by: design-engine

Tom's Hardware Guide has an good writeup. SSD's are way too expensive for us now but I'm sure they will come down rapidly. They also have to play some tricks with the controllers because flash has a limited number of write cycles compared to hard drives.

Limited (milions of state changes, however) write cycles is inherent to non-volatile memory since simply said you have to switch some piece of material over from one state to the other, while in RAM memoy it is electric current keeping a certain state.

But on the other hand : how many harddisks of 15 year old have you running at the moment ?

Alex

Hard drive life seemed to peak about 10 or 15 years ago. I blame the proliferation of RAID drives. Cheap is the driving factor in hard drives these days, if it fails in 2 or 3 years just swap it out. Sucks if you only have one drive & no backup!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back