Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

solid edge to pro/e - solid works convert

purple66sbc

Our company had a rep today from Solid Edge, currently our company uses Pro/E and we were just about to purchase a seat of Solid Works due to so many of our outside designers using it. The rep told us that Solid Edge can import both Pro/E and SolidWorks files with full history, edit them, then return them back into native Pro/E and SolidWorks format with full history trees. And not only back into their origianl format, but from Pro/E to Solid Edge then into Solidworks and vise versa. This is the first i have heard of this and icould not even find any truth to this claim onSolid Edge's website.Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks, Sean

Stop the check and purchase of Solid Edge. I can tell you for a fact that Solid Edge / SolidWorks is not able to import and export Pro/E files in any way, shape or form; I have tried it and it doesn't work. I would agree with dsilorey, and have the saleman give you a demo and then try to bring the file into Pro/E. To the best of my knowledge, there are no cad programs that are able to do this. One would need to use a third party program in order to translate from one cad program to another. Where I work, we are looking into a translator program for converting Catia V5 files to Pro/E.

When AutoDesk way trying to sell us Inventor to replace our Pro/E, the deal killer was that they said that whenever you convert the models to a non-Pro/E modeler, the drawing files become disassociated from the models. So if you have any kind of history with Pro/E, you are better off sticking with Pro/E or you will have to redraw all of your drawings.

Kirk Klinger

Saving history is major BS when changing CAD. It's the last thing to worry about.

What you have to do is keep your original files and your original CAD-system for every project you need to continue working on and for the times you want to convert or look up something from the past.

Start with the new CAD for new projects. Do modelling and detailing in the new program and it will help you to learn how to work with it. Only when it is absolutely necessary because of time pressure you can consider to translate. Or when you're absolutely sure that you only need the volume and some anchoring points.

I work on a professional level with Solid Edge, ProE and now Catia. The way they handle even the simpliest basic features is so different that even I as an intelligent human can't do the same thing the same way in all three programs.

The only thing I trust is to import parts and do recognition, and also to work with direct editing. When a hole is recognized as a hole you can change parameters (diameter, depth, ...). And when your CAD allows you to move faces, move and/or remove holes you already have a lot of tools to modify yourimported parts.

But as stated in the beginning there is no alternative to models built native in CAD, with not only intelligence in the features but also intelligence in how these features are organised.

Alex
Edited by: AHA-D

Hey,

If you need anyhelp for parametric conversion, We make the parametroc model for less rate/hr.

muthu

I have joined a company which uses solidworks but is changing to PRO E. I have never used solidworks only PRO E. I know you can covert from solidworks to PRO E but it doesn't have the history trees. It would be a big help if it did. Does anyone have any updates on this from sean's post because it will be a big help for be if the models can be transfered with the history tree.
Edited by: Paul04

The only way to "convert from solidworks to PRO E" is to save the file as either a step or iges format. In either case, you will not get any type of model tree or part history and the file generated is basically a "dumb" file.

As I stated in an earlier post, if you are looking to maintain part history and model tree information, you will need to look into a third party translator to go from Solidworks to Pro/E.

Have a good day.

Dean

I would highly doubt there is EVER going to be a piece of software which is capable of achieving complete freedom with external modellers. If there was, there would never be any Solidworks `v` Pro-e `v` Catia debates, because no-one would care. We would all just use anything to our preference and be able to exchange files freely without having addition work involved.
smiley4.gif

Not true.

You can save as Proe from Solid Works, our customers do it all the time in order for us to use their models. Not sure of which version of SW is required, but I KNOW it can and is done.

You do lose the history, however.

Ascorti said:
The only way to "convert from solidworks to PRO E" is to save the file as either a step or iges format. In either case, you will not get any type of model tree or part history and the file generated is basically a "dumb" file.

As I stated in an earlier post, if you are looking to maintain part history and model tree information, you will need to look into a third party translator to go from Solidworks to Pro/E.

Have a good day.

Dean
Edited by: dross

If you lose the model tree function what does it matter if it isn't igs or step format. It is a dumb model either way.

There is a neutral format that Pro E and Solidworks use, but other than viewing the model it is not very good geometry. I tried to split one recently in the PTC MFG package and it was worthless........

If you want to translate than STEP is the best option to my experience. It's accurate, assemblies are translated as assemblies, "difficult" surfaces have a better chance of coming through as they should.

And as to feature trees : there are so many different ways that CAD-systems achieve their goal that I doubt there will ever be a way to have intelligent translations from one to the other. Ever looked at computer translations of human language (and tried to understand what the translated text was like...) ? Well, CAD translations can only be worse !

Alex

In the interest of clearing up some of the bollocks that I have seen posted; Soiledworks 2008 does have SOME ability to read native Pro/E and derive a model tree from this.

It also can write in Pro/E format but it appears to be only a dumb solid.

The zip file

2008-07-15_054202_translation_test.zip

contains a wf3 part, the same part read into SW2008 SP1 and saved in SW format and back into Pro/E format.

Now what I want assistance to do is to get SW2008 to open assembly instance accelerator files which it currently is totally stumped by.

DB

So from a dumb cad file can you still get measurements?

And can you make a drawing from the dumb cad model?

thanks

Jim

1. Yes, you can get measurements. The dumb CAD file should dimensionally be identical to the native CAD file; however, assembly components are not referenced/oriented and are floating in space at the locations dictated in the original native CAD file.

2. Yes, drawings can be created from dumb CAD models. Dumb CAD models are true Models, they just are not parametric and do not have any editable features.

Kirk

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back