Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SKILLS CHALLENGE (chain)

CPiotrowski

Create a linked chain that follows a random bent curve with oval links, not circular. I am still working on this one so no help from me. GOOD LUCK!

Cain,

can you be a bit more explicit when you say oval links, or do you mean oval sprockets.

The file below is a pdf of an EXACT 1" roller chain construction I did as an exercise. No approximations or simplifications and with perfect meshing of the sprockets so that hidden line removal works correctly.

2006-08-08_023138_chain_path.zip

Note: the gap for the master link measures 25,3mm

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

thanx Piotrowsky

I was bored for nothing to do and dont have enough time to start any new challenge.I didnot understand clearly what u want to create? mechanism assy?? simple assy?? or what? plz upload a pic if u can

I dont mean that kind fo chain. What I mean is a chain link like something you would use to pull a car or a chain that holds a childs swing on a swingset. A standard chain. This is a very tricky model. I figured out how to make it but havent had time to do so. The chain cannot be straight, it wust follow a bending curve.

chains.jpg

Edited by: CPiotrowski

hmm

Made as 1 part.

Made 1 link then patterned it with a rotation aswell as a translation.
Then added a curve to be used with a spinal bend.

** Problems are that the chain indivdual links also conform to the spinal bend. ( each link is bent)

** to solve u would prolly have to make it from a assembly. requiring much more time.

For just a visual impression this method is probably best.

View attachment 2549

Puppet,

nice model and I think the comment

puppet said:
For just a visual impression this method is probably best

is very true. No point spending a large amount of time for an essentially cosmetic requirement when a relatively simple approximation will suffice.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

CPiotrowski said:
Create a linked chain that follows a random bent curve with oval links, not circular. I am still working on this one so no help from me. GOOD LUCK!

Cian,

When you say useing "Oval" links, do you by any cnance mean a losenge? (i.e. a rectangle with a full rouns on either side?

if one could use a losenge, you could place a point at part level which would be used to asemble it to patterned points along a 3d curve, may take a bit of playing around to get it to work tho...

puppet, like your idea! quick and simple!

Everyone that has posted a model has done a great job. Unfortunetly I havent had a chance to do this but it seems there are definelty more than one way to skin this cat. I like the mountain of chain. I will need to upload one of these parts to see how you achieved this.

Thanks for everyones participation. SOrry I havent been able to contribute yet.

Looks perfect DOJO.
Edited by: CPiotrowski

hi all, i am new in pw3 and i am really impressed with that chain, can anyone bo a little more specific with a tutorial or something???'

Thx

Hello all, I am new to Pro-E. Been using for about 6 months. The long Chain link is exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to create it. Would really appreciate the help.
smiley1.gif
[email protected]

There is a great example on our site for both roller chains and welded steel chains. The Free Downloads page includes instructions, files (for both commercial and educational versions) as well as a video example.

http://www.mobiusid.com/free-downloads/

The roller chain was originally developed to help FIRST students.
roller_chain_tn.jpg
welded_chain_tn.jpg

roller_chain_pm.jpg
welded_chain_pm.jpg

Enjoy,
Tim
P.S. for planner curves/paths only

Edited by: tim.mclellan

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back