Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketcher

vuuch

How do you turn off the auto dimensioning in the skecher? I want to create my own dimension scheme but cannot figure out how to turn this off... please help!

I think you have to turn off Intent Manager. Why would you bother? Just ignore the automatic dims, when you have fully dimensioned your sketch the automatic dims will be gone.

I cannot seem to add a dimension and/or delete ones that were created for me... Am I missing something?

for someone who is trying to sell or promoteadd on software for pro engineer you might want to know the basics of the originating tool first.

you would think, but I am not the developer. I am on the business side and trying to relearn proe...

vuuch said:
I cannot seem to add a dimension and/or delete ones that were created for me... Am I missing something?

Sounds odd, I can't think of a scenario where that would happen. What version and build are you using?

WF 4.0 M090. Whle in a sketch if I push the dimension icon everything gets dimensioned. If I try to add another dimension or delete one nothing happens...

vuuch said:
WF 4.0 M090. Whle in a sketch if I push the dimension icon everything gets dimensioned. If I try to add another dimension or delete one nothing happens...

Pro|E should dimension as you sketch, no need to push an icon. I've not heard of a button that will dimension an un-dimensioned sketch completely, frankly, you shouldn't have an un-dimensioned sketch.

If you mean that you cannot delete the default 'grayed' dims, you can delete them but Pro|E will put them right back. Just ignore them and create your own, the gray ones will disappear as you do. If there's a conflict, Pro|E will ask you what to do.

Dimensioning Basics

Sketcher makes sure that the section is adequately
constrained and dimensioned at any stage of the section creation. As you sketch
a section, the system automatically dimensions the geometry. These dimensions
are called "weak" dimensions, because the system creates and removes them
without warning. Weak dimensions appear in gray.

You can also add your own dimensions to create the desired
dimensioning scheme. User dimensions are considered "strong" dimensions by the
system. As you add strong dimensions, the system automatically removes
unnecessary weak dimensions and constraints. It is good practice to strengthen
weak dimensions that you intend to keep in a section before you exit Sketcher.
This ensures that the system does not delete these dimensions without your
input.

If adding a dimension leads to a conflict or redundancy in
the dimensioning scheme and constraints, Sketcher issues a warning and lets you
resolve the conflict.
Deleting Weak Dimensions

Weak dimensions cannot be deleted. They are automatically
removed when you create strong dimensions that make the weak dimensions
unnecessary.

To Create Dimensions (basic)

Use the Dimension command in the Sketch menu to add "strong" dimensions or to replace existing
dimensions.

1. Select the entity that you want to dimension.

2. Place the dimension at the desired position using
    the middle mouse button.

The Dimension command works in "continue" mode: you
continue creating dimensions of one type until you select another option.

Note: You can
also access the Dimension command by clicking the Dimension button in the Sketcher
toolbar.

Edited by: dr_gallup

It may be a video issue. I had this happen some time in the past, the sketch would come up with no dimensions until you zoomed/repainted and this happened repeatedly.

Also, be sure you are selecting the "view dimension" icon, that would turn the view on and off but not change the dimensions.

vuuch said:

i guess you are PUSHING this icon where as you should PUSH this

the first icon is to show the dimension (weak or strong) in the sketcher. and the second icon is to creat dimensions.

vuuch said:
How do you turn off the auto dimensioning in the skecher?

While in Sketcher Mode go to Sketch > Options and deselect option Weak Dimensions.

To permanently disable the auto dimensioning add the following option to your config.pro file:
sketcher_disp_weak_dimensions no

jvidal said:
vuuch said:
How do you turn off the auto dimensioning in the skecher?

While in Sketcher Mode go to Sketch > Options and deselect option Weak Dimensions.

To permanently disable the auto dimensioning add the following option to your config.pro file:

sketcher_disp_weak_dimensions no
That just controls the display, the weak dimensions are still there. Very dangerous config option in my opinion. Only way to get rid of them is turn off constraint manager. I think the original poster needs to figure out how to create dimensions!

I find having the weak dimensions showing unnerving as well as creating a good deal of clutter.

If I use construction lines is my sketches, I don't need to fully constrain these dimensions: usually I use them for horizontal or vertical reference; they don't need a "length" dimension, per say. But having all those weak dimensions around drives me batty.

Draw centerlines instead of construction lines. Work the same but quicker to make and have no length (infinite).

The problem with leaving weak dimensions hanging around is they can behave erratically (sort of like a salidworks sketch) when you make radical changes to the strong sketch dimensions. Most long time Pro/E users make it a habit to never leave any weak dimensions.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back