Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Simple reps, Patterns and groups don't play well together..

wogz

Being new, I’m fleshing out any ides or conceptions I might have about Pro E!

When making simple reps, why can’t I select (from the model tree) a pattern (containing a group) or a group to exclude? I seem to have to open the group or pattern, then select all items within the pattern or group individually. I can’t select just the pattern or the group from the model tree.. (Ditto with Exploded views / when creating exploded views. I can’t just pick a pattern (or group) of parts to explode, but have to pick each item.. (Yet I can suppress or delete a whole pattern or group!)

Yes, I can open each group / pattern, and leave them open, but then the model tree is super super long!! I’d figure Pro E would be smart enough to think that if I can select each individual component in a group or pattern, then selecting the group or pattern would select all within said group or pattern?! freeing me from click each individual part down the tree!

I can’t pattern a pattern. OK, so I have a plate that’s fastened with a bunch of nuts & washers. I’ll place & constrain the washer, then the nut. The nut & washer are then grouped, and that group is then patterned. I’d like to then group that ‘sub assembly’ and then pattern it all. But I can’t seem to pattern a pattern, or make a pattern of a pattern that contains a group.. (I have a pattern of the plate, a pattern of the sub plate, but each plate & sub plate’s fasteners are each individual groups of patterns. Then it’s all grouped to make it pretty.)

And yes, The model could have been built (assembled?) better, using sub assemblies & such, instead of each individual components being assembled in one massive assembly. But again, I’m new here, and some of our models are legacy, dating back 3 or 4 CAD guys..

Am I missing something? Is there a better work around with group & patterns when making simple reps?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back