Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Shrink Fit

brenyw

I have a tapered shaft which i wish to shrink fit a component onto. The component will be heated to 200deg C, placed onto the shaft and allowed to cool to room temperature. I require the stresses induced in both the component and the shaft.

Does anyone have an example of this type ofproblem? I have no experience with thermal simulation, so how do I do this?

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Brenyw

You dont really need thermal analysis to find the stresses. You can mate the overlapping room temperature parts, add contact regions between them, and find the stress on both parts at room temperature. You could do this really quick in 2d if you didn't have a taper. You may want to play around with dimensions in 2d, then when you have a feel for the press fit you like, do a final 3d run.

Natewebb

I have a simular problem. Could you please explain your method more in detail.

and more why those steps are needed?

Thanks in advance

Gino

ok here are the steps for wf2 (3d model)

1 assemble the parts overlapping in thier final state

2. create contact regions with part to part option, or surface to surface

3. constrain the parts, this may require some thought depending on the geometry, dont constrain near the contact surfaces

4. mechanica likes loads. make a dummy load to appease it such as gravity, or mec-t

5. create an analysis and check the contact optin box

those are the main steps. you will notice pro/mechanica makes contact measures by default for you.

if you run into problems there is a fool proof way to do it in independent mode, where you mesh the parts seperate, then translate them together, but integrated mode typically works great for press fit in the wildfire release.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back