Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Shown Dims in Assembly Drawings

PRStockhausen

A word of warning concerning showing part dimension in an assembly drawing. I just noticed that a part drawing I pulled up from our file system (not Interlink just a read only directory for released files) did not agree with the tiff file used forviewing. A dimension had the tolerance removed, the number of decimals changed and additional text added. I believe that the dimension was shown in an assembly and modified for that drawing, thus changing the part drawing in error.

This makes me think that, when part dimensions are needed in an assembly drawing they should be created, not shown. Some exceptions do exist such as welements, overmolding etc.

Ahhh the beauty of parametrics.

One thing you could do is create curves in the assembly model and show those dimensions on the assembly drawing. Or, create dimensions on the drawing.

I will try to use model dimension whenever I can, like mate offset, angles and things of that nature. Rarely will I use component dimensions at the assembly level due to the fact that sometimes a dimension and Gtol requirement at the assemblymight belittle different than the requirements at the component level. That is when I create datum curves in the assembly. In most cases the nominal dimension is the same, but the tolerance and Gtol would be slightly different than at the component level.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back