Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Showing selected hidden & tangent lines

mekaneck

I have a view which is set to show hidden lines, and no tangent lines. There are some lines which I need to show which are both hidden and tangent. I can get these lines to show up only when I select "wireframe" display (because selecting show hidden and show tangent will not show lines which are both hidden and tangent).

So the question is, is it possible to use edge display, or some other method (other than 2D drawing entities) to show these lines in this view?

I tried changing the display to wireframe, then using "show/erase edge", but I cannot get these lines to remain visible when I go back to "hidden, no tangent" display mode in the view.

Ideas?

First I usually set the view display to hidden and tangent edges to phantom just so it is easy to tell what I'm picking. Then go to View\Drawing Display\Edge Display and pick Hidden Line and Tan Dimmed. Now pick your line(s) and remember to use MMB to end your selection set. You should see the display of your selected line(s) change. Now go back and change the view display to "hidden, no tangent". Works for me, WF2.

I still can't get this, are you showing tangent edges, or hidden tangent edges? Here's a quick model I made and some pics, to make sure I'm clear.

View attachment 4220

This is the basic model, and below is a picture of the drawing in wireframe, trying to pick the hidden tangent lines (the box is oriented so that if it were in "no hidden" mode, you would only see the outline of the outside of the box, since the pocket is in the rear).

View attachment 4221

I'm following your steps, but still no luck. I'm thinking that Pro/E will only let you show tangent lines, or hidden lines, but not hidden tangent lines. Is this right?

Here's the drawing if anyone wants to try it:

2007-09-27_084013_hidden_tangent.zip

There is something in your .dtl settings that is preventing it from working. I downloaded your files and duplicated your problem. I loaded one of our standard .dtl files and the problem went away. I'll try to isolate the exact setting.

Change your .dtl setting hidden_tangent_edges from ERASED to DEFAULT.

I got called away, TobyK beat me to it.

Edited by: dr_gallup

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back