Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

shell loft

kevinlamers

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a little problem:
I've created a few sketches on several planes. (Airfoils of a wing)
The sketch includes and off set. so that i have the shape of the carbonfibre skin. Now I would like to create a loft of the 5 sketches containing the carbon skin shell. But any time I try to do this, solidworks makes a solid of it and no shell. This is weird because I only select the outer shells when making the loft.
I also tried to make a shell of it afterwards but than solidworks is still closing one end of the wing. (like it's a box, but it should be like a tube).
Extruding isn't an option to get rid of the last wall because every airfoil is different so the wing isn't a simple extrude.

I would be very thankful if someone could help me.

Kevin

I've had this before as well. things to check, all sketches have the same amount of entities. when selecting sketchs, use same location for origin. or create a series of offset entities and another internal loft, create a fill surface for the end, sew and create solid.

good luck ...
smiley32.gif

Yes, that was my suggestion. Then it can be thickened.

Sorry I can't be more specific, it's just I'm in work and only have ProE here. I can check it later at home if necessary.

Thank you for your great help.

The lofted surface idea sounds good. I will try it tonight, first I have to study for some exams.

Maybe, I can also try to make a solid of the outer dimensions and subtract the loft of the inner dimensions.

One little question:
SW is awfully slow when I'm making a loft. It can take several minutes per sketch I've to select. The sketches contain about 200 points each, so maybe it's quite complicated for the software. My PC has a dual 2.5 ghz, 4gb of ram and a nvidia quadro fx 570m.
Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my settings.

Kevin

The sketch sounds quite complicated. Post the part if you want and I can have a look at it later .

Complicated lofts do tend to be quite heavy on memory but it sounds like you have a good machine. I'm not an expert on the hardware side though.

Michael, I've converted my many-points-sketch into a spline (spline fit), now it's less complicated. I than did the offset. Now I want to at the straight part at 1/4th of the leading edge (as you can see in the drawing I send you). But when I draw the straight edge on the spline, SW wont let me trim away the original piece of line belonging to the spline. When I zoom in very much I can see the lines aren't attached to the spline and I can't get them to touch each other.
I've added the file with the spline.
http://www.popitula.com/temp SW/splines.SLDPRT
Thank you,
Kevin

Small update:
First making a lofted surface and than thicken it, works great (and much faster). Now I still have to know how to fix my spline issue. Because I really need that flat edge at the location of the spar.

Kevin,

Glad it's starting to come tiogether for you. I'm still in work and wont get looking at it until later. I should have asked, what version of SW are you using as I'm on 2006. If you're on a later version, maybe you could post some pics here or put an IGES file (using lines and/or surfaces) on the website.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back