Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sheetmetal template

gbon

Hello,

A long time ago, I've read someting here about creating a
template for both a part and its flat instance.
It was possible while not using sheetmetal unbended
instance but something else.

I can't find anything about this on my HD or searching on
Mcadcentral.

Can someone tell us how to do this ?

Thanks,

You can create a family table, one with flat feature and
one with it suppressed. The flat feature will always be
the last feature in the model.

CC454 said:
You can create a family table, one with flat feature and

one with it suppressed. The flat feature will always be

the last feature in the model.

However the Flat Pattern or Unbend feature is usually applied to some geometry. This is usually a surface or edge of an existing wall feature. I don't know that you can have these features without walls.

So, then your template would have to have a wall; so, you would have to decide what kind of wall it would be (flat or extrude/flange or swept etc.) So, it get's complicated, because you now have variations to consider. You would also have to consider whether you use the "Flat Pattern" or "Unbend" (BTW Flat State command creates the "Unbend" feature.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You could create what I would call "seed" parts like a classic "L bracket", "hat channel", "box" part with flat instances that could "copy" from (and they could already have drawings if you want). You would still have to decide how these would be modeled. (There was also a recent discussion where "simplified reps" were considered to create the flat variation rather than a family table. I bet this comes with it's own baggage.)

I bet not all the engineers in your group could agree on the best method. Kudos if you can.

Good luck.

It is true you can not have a flat pattern until you have
a wall, but you can have a family table defined with out
any features.

A simple seed part,like your saying, such as 1" square,
nom thickness first wall, will allow the flat pattern
feature to exist as a suppressed feature, and will always
stay the last feature on the model tree.

This would be a good start for a sheet metal parts that
start out as sheet metal. Its another story for solid
conversions.

Realistically, the amount of energy it takes to modify the existing features to what a new part would be, as well as the confusion for a lot of people... You would be better off just making the flat pattern when needed.

It takes very little effort if you use the functionality in the Setup menu vs. manually creating the feature and the family table.

srieger said:
Realistically, the amount of energy it takes to modify the existing features to what a new part would be, as well as the confusion for a lot of people... You would be better off just making the flat pattern when needed.

It takes very little effort if you use the functionality in the Setup menu vs. manually creating the feature and the family table.

Actually, either method is not that hard. The "Setup / Flat State" command is almost more like "mapkey" that they put into the software. The downside exists for those who prefer the Flat Pattern feature over the Unbend feature, because Flat State always creates an Unbend feature. In using the Flat State commands, you always have to be careful not to created multiple unbend/bend back pairs in your part. Flat State may save you a small handful of picks, but, in the end, it really comes down to modeling preference.

I tend to like the Flat Pattern feature, because it is always last in the model tree and there can only be one per model. I'll use an Unbend if I have to make a cut in the flat. In which case, I'll make the cut between an unbend/bend back pair. Any other cuts in the flat will go between that one pair. That pair will always be at the bottom of the feature list also. If I can avoid making cuts in the flat, I will. (Note: Unbend also has it's advantages for unusual flattening cases like x-sectional, transitional unbends etc. Although, I have found that I rarely have the need for this.)

I will say this. If you do decide to create a simple template with a wall and flat pattern (or unbend) feature, then you can create a saved view for your flat pattern views. (I usually call it "FLAT".) That will save you a little time when orienting your flat view on a drawing (if your drawings require a flat pattern). You would still have to decide whether the first wall is a "flat" wall or an "extrude" wall.

I have used "seed" parts in the past such as a simple box (with 4 walls) with the flat pattern and bend reliefs all worked out and a drawing to go with it. Then, just copy from the box and stretch it to make a new one. If you have commonly shaped parts, it can be a time saver.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back