Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sheetmetal (Flex-Cable) wrap around

Borisw37

I am trying to model a flex-cable using sheetmetal in Pro/WF2.

The problem is that the flex looks kind of like a stick figure and each extremedy needs to be on a different surface at different angles. Basically wraping around a egg shaped part that has small flats where the ends of flexcable extremedies need to be located.

For now I am just putting in multiple bends and changing them till the ends light up but it just feels like there is a better more accurate way of doing this.

I don't think I would be using Pro/SHEETMETAL to do your flex-cable model. I think I would be using Pro/CABLE instead. Even though Pro/CABLE does not have a flex-cable mode... You can still extrapulate the length of the cable in a flat mode... that is you know how much cable comes off the spool to get the job done.

Edited by: design-engine

Are you talking about a membrane switch? If so, I've done several like you describe (multiple arms on multiple surfaces at multiple angles) in Pro|E sheet metal and they work well. You just have to use 'flattenable' geometry - planes, conesand cylinders.

My approach has been to model the entire membrane switch as a surface quilt and then convert to sheet metal by thickening. As long as you're careful about your geometry (which can take a bunch of patience and creativity), you should be good.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back