Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sharing files over network from server

Texas_Drafter

I am running WF2. We recently added a second draftsman to the company and he is acessing the files now. All of our files are to be saved on my computer and not his. When he tries to save his models or drawings to my computer it will not allow him to. It actually will not let him access any or our network when saving but will allow him to open files over the network. Our computers are networked and every other program we use has no problems with him saving files to my computer. How can we fix this.

Call your PC Administrator and have them setup permissions to the folder.

You should probably be using 'search_path' statements too. Of course the both of you will have to coordinate each time a part/assembly/drawing is opened.

yes the folder is shared with full permissions and we have already setup the search.pro file. he can open and edit models and drawings that already exist on my computer but it doesnt even show my computer as an option of a place to save once he is done. we have tried the save a copy option as well and no luck there either. not sure what else can be done. thanks.

i dont think either computer has administrators setup. if the folder or drive is shared it is free range for anybody in our company. thats my understanding atleast.

You will need an administrator to make changes.

Check out the 'properties' & 'security'of the folder and see if has the correct users or groups assigned to it.

If you can't get the administrator to setup the correct users & groups between the PC's, then you will have to zip and email and you will have to be the manager of the files, which is not a bad idea anyway, as sharing the same PROE files and using the same PROE files from the same folders is a tricky management situation, even if he could save.

When you are working in an assembly and accidentially touch a part and did not make any changes to it, it will still save that part.

I would manage the parts that you want him to change and then have him email them to you. You'll appreciate this method, once you messed up using your method.

It is the best way when you do no have a PDM system.
Edited by: tosh382

tosh382 said:
If you can't get the administrator to setup the correct users & groups between the PC's, then you will have to zip and email and you will have to be the manager of the files, which is not a bad idea anyway, as sharing the same PROE files and using the same PROE files from the same folders is a tricky management situation, even if he could save.

When you are working in an assembly and accidentially touch a part and did not make any changes to it, it will still save that part.

I would manage the parts that you want him to change and then have him email them to you. You'll appreciate this method, once you messed up using your method.

It is the best way when you do no have a PDM system.

Be sure to set Pro/E to only save changed files, that will prevent a lot of overwriting each others work.

dr_gallup
Be sure to set Pro/E to only save changed files, that will prevent a lot of overwriting each others work.

==================

Explain how you dothat

tosh382 said:
dr_gallup

==================

Explain how you dothat

Use these config settings:

save_objects changed_and_updated
override_store_back no
save_object_in_current no

dr_gallup said:
tosh382 said:
dr_gallup

==================

Explain how you dothat

Use these config settings:

save_objects changed_and_updated
override_store_back no
save_object_in_current no

Please explain why PTC would have the current default, as they know new users usually do not have a PDM system and they have to rely on folders & search_paths.

You don't have to fight these issues long before you come to the conclusion that with all of the money spent to purchase Pro/E, a little more on Oracle and Intralink will sure pay for itself down the road.

All depends on how many seats of Pro/E you have. I've been using it for over 20 years in a networked office environment (4 seats) without any PDM system. Every time I see some one post about being forced to upgrade their PDM system I'm glad we don't have one.

I usually want to share the textures folder over the server so we can all access the hundreds of textures we create or download....

That PDM Link will be the pivotal part of the Creo configuration engine. We at design engine do not have a PDM system either but the first time some team member over rights your project and purges we get mad.

I am about to drop for a PDM software. We currently use an online software that does not manage rev control called basecamp. http://basecamphq.com/

I remember when PTC first introduced a PDM back in 1993. Pro/PROJECTthey lost everything. The folder of Pro/E files were uploaded to the server and removed off the hard drive. All was lost. I made a copy of the folder an hour before and let them go all day thinking their five months of work was lost. Yes. very funny. I was the only person laughing I guess.
Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back