Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

saving config.win

rajendran

If I save my screen settings with already available config.win, it is saving as one more fileconfig.win.1

Each time it keeps on saving new files like config.win.2, config.win.3, etc.

How can I avoid this? How can I save my changes with the existing config.win?

Please suggest me the way.

Thanks.

ProE uses the newest config.win when it starts, i.e. config.win.3 in your case.

If the settings do not work, check that the config.win you want to use is in your start directory.

Hi To everybody...

I am a relatively new user of Pro-Engineer. I 've got familiar with it in my previous job (WF5)
Now I have the WF4 in my new job, and I want to make it work in the same way as the previous one.

First of all, I face a configuration problem.
I cannot find the config.win file and I cannot set up the background colors e.t.c.
I entered the view>display settings, I changed the colors settings, I save them in the syscol.scl file, but when I start again the ProE, the colors settings are not applied.

I have red that you can determine the path of the syscol.scl file (where the color settings are saved) in the config.pro file. You can do that via the tools > options menu. I did that, but I didn't find the corresponding parameter (system_colors_file) among them.

I have aslo tried to download a config.win file, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

In addition I want to activate the keys F5, F6, F7 and F8 in order to turn on and off the datum planes, datum axes, datum points and datum coordinate systems respectively. I can do that using the mapkeys (I saw them in the parameters of the config.pro files which were contained the above mentioned menu), but I don't know details.
Finally I want to use the combination of keys SHIFT and ? in order the "Select working directory" menu to be issued on the screen.

Can anyone give information about these settings?
Thank you.

Edited by: Dimitris1980

Can I politely suggest that you start a new thread? Your questions are really not related to the initial question here and having it in a separate thread would be better for folks looking for the same information.

Thanks.
smiley4.gif

I had typed up a response for the new thread, but I'll go ahead an post it here.

First of all, you need to understand what the different config files in Pro/E do.

Config.win is simply for the window layout. Toolbar position, button locations, button icons and drop down menu configuration. That's it, it contains no information for the functional configuration of Pro/E.

Functional configuration options are stored in a file names config.pro. It's a simple text file that you can read with Notepad or any other text editor (unlike config.win).

Pro/E will read either of these files from thees folders in this order at start up:
  1. Text directory of your Pro/E installation
  2. The user home directory (as defined in a Windows environment variable)
  3. The 'start in' directory as defined in the shortcut used to launch Pro/E (in your start menu or on your desktop)
To your questions:

Dimitris1980 said:
I cannot find the config.win file ...

Out of the box,there isn't one. If you want to change your screen layout, right click on a toolbar and select 'commands' to enter the configuration dialog, make the cahnges you want and save it to one of the locations above and it will load at start up.

Dimitris1980 said:
I entered the view>display settings, I changed the colors settings, I save them in the syscol.scl file, but when I start again the ProE, the colors settings are not applied.

I have red that you can determine the path of the syscol.scl file (where the color settings are saved) in the config.pro file. You can do that via the tools > options menu. I did that, but I didn't find the corresponding parameter (system_colors_file) among them.

Again, the system_colors_file will not be in there by default. Once you create and save your system colors file, you'll need to add it to your config.pro and save it to one of the places above. By default, Pro/E will name it 'current_session.pro', which is silly because I don't think that they will load unless it's named 'config.pro', so make sure you change the name.

Dimitris1980 said:
In addition I want to activate the keys F5, F6, F7 and F8 in order to turn on and off the datum planes, datum axes, datum points and datum coordinate systems respectively. I can do that using the mapkeys (I saw them in the parameters of the config.pro files which were contained the above mentioned menu), but I don't know details.
Finally I want to use the combination of keys SHIFT and ? in order the "Select working directory" menu to be issued on the screen.

These are also stored in the config.pro file. Once you've created a config.pro file above, when you record the mapkeys through the mapkeys dialog, make sure you pick 'changed' under 'Save Mapkeys' and save to the config file you created.

I'm not sure about using the sift key in a mapkey, never tried that.

Thanks for your answers...
smiley1.gif

I didn't created a new thread, because I know that it's not good to make new threads, unless it is really necessary...

New threads aren't good for further answers on the same subject, but I felt yours was a change in topic from a specific config.win question to more general config questions.

No worries, you got the answer you need I hope.

Raj, why is this causiing a problem. If proe is pointed in the right plpace to look for the config.win then it will pick up the latest file.

I dont know of any way to stop this other than a batch file.

Paddy

Anyway, I keep on this thread.

I made several settings on the config.pro, now I am pleased!
I saved it on the start-up directory (which is the initial working directory). Some of the adjustments were done directly on the file (via the notepad), some others using the interface of ProE.

But there is something I cannot achieve.
I want to use the keys F5, F6, F7 and F8 in order to turn on and off in succession the planes, axis, points and coordinate systems respectively.

I added the following commands on the config.pro file :
(open the datum display window, check/uncheck the corresponding checkbox and close the window)

mapkey $F5 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmPlanes`1 ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_Ok`;

mapkey $F5 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmPlanes`0 ;\

mapkey $F6 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmAxes`1 ;\

mapkey $F6 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmAxes`0 ;\

mapkey $F7 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmPnts`1 ;\

mapkey $F7 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_DtmPnts`0 ;\

mapkey $F8 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_CSys`1 ;\

mapkey $F8 %~datums; ~ Activate `datumdisplay` `DtmDsply_PB_CSys`0 ;\

which, of course, only turn off the corresponding features, because the disabling commands (0) are each time after the enabling commands (1).

How can I use the same mapkey for turning on and off one feature?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back