Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Saving assemblies with hidden components?

calamum

Hi all,

I have a simple question: I want to take an assembly, hide some parts in it, save it and then have those parts remain hidden the next time I open up the assembly. For some reason I can't do this. I also have an assembly which has some hidden parts which I need to un-hide each time I open the assembly. This gets very tedious. Would be much better if I could just save the assembly in the configuration I need. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

IN Creo, View> Visibility> Status> Save Status

I've made a similar point in another thread, but how is this intuitive? I hid the component in my tree, not using layers. Why should I have to save layer status to make this happen? Someday, maybe their programmers will learn how people actually use the tool and try to make it easier to use.

I already knew how to do this, just making a rant about how insane this is.

I've made a similar point in another thread, but how is this intuitive? I hid the component in my tree, not using layers. Why should I have to save layer status to make this happen? Someday, maybe their programmers will learn how people actually use the tool and try to make it easier to use.

I already knew how to do this, just making a rant about how insane this is.

it's not intuitive at all. it's a PTC product so it's inherently non-intuitive. I know of no other software where "SAVE" doesn't actually save the file in the state it's currently in. You can save the file but you better make sure you hit the other save to make sure it saves the way you really want it!

the more I use CREO (Been a user since ProE 2000) the more I really and honestly believe that the programmers don't know anything about the software they're programming, the in house users must be told not to actually suggest improvements to the programmers, and there is zero quality control on the product as a whole.

You're not saving layer status, you're saving visibility status, two different things.

But they use the exact same "save" button. I have to switch to the layer tree to do it. Why is it not just saved as the current state of the model? I have some appreciation for being able to hide and show layers and have those changes not stick with a standard save, but not in the model tree. If you want it temporarily hidden, there should be an option for that. There is no intuitive way to arrive at the current process. I would wager that no person could figure it out without going to someone or a help document (or forum) or just by plain accident.

Why does it have to require professional support for me to do something so simple? Is it just their method of guarantee that I will purchase support from them?

And michaelpaul, I absolutely agree. There are so many things (even some of them "improvements") that just don't make sense. It is an 80's piece of Unix software trying to run like it's a native Windows application from this decade and failing miserably. Their implementation of the ribbon just wastes my time. Context-sensitive RMB menu? Really? I really prefer SW's shortcut menu, talk about a mouse-movement saver!

Don't get me wrong, there are things about Creo that I really do like, but I'd still rather model just about anything in SW.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back