Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Save as of sheetmetal part and drawing.

mstols

If I have a part called BOB.prt and a drawing called BOB.drw of this part.

I can open the part and do a save as to BOB_1.prt and it will copy the drawing to BOB_1.drw as well.

The problem with asheetmetal part is that you normally have a flat state on the drawing as well. So the save as will work and create a new drawing with the new bend part, but the flat state on the drawing will still be for the old part. It doesn't change the flat state name, so you have to delete the view, remove the model, Open the new generic, rename the instance and add it to the drawing again.

Have anyone found a workaround for it?

I never work with flat state as the last feature, but I do an unbend/ bend back as the last features. The generic then has the part name, and I suppress the bend back feature in the family tree for the flat state.

I found it saves a lot of wear and tear on my brain.

Sip

After you've saved a copy, close the original BOB.prt. Open the new drawing that (BOB_1.drw) then open the generic part (BOB_1.prt). Tools > Family Table, you can rename the flat state from BOB_FLAT1 to BOB_1_FLAT1. You should see a confirmation pop up at that point. Save the part, save the drawing.

sip...

I have been under the impression that unbend does not take into account for stretch of material which is why one would do a flat pattern in a drawing in the first place.... with respect to a k factor of course.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back