Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Save As of Family Table Instance

jfixsen

I have a generic with a casting instances and several machines instances in the family table. All of which have their respective drawings. I want to copy the casting instance AND drawing to a new non-family table part. Our parts and drawings have different names, so you can't open it in Pro and do a save as. I can always open the part instance in Pro and do a Save As, but would then have to recreate the drawing. Is there a way to do a Save As in Windchill that will break the relation to the previous generic and still retain the drawing? I've tried a couple different ways already. I did a Save As on the generic, instance, and drawing, and did a Remove on the generic in the Save As screen, but it just added the new part to the family table of the generic. If we add a new machining instance, we do it similar to this, but do a Reuse on the generic and it adds the instance to the family table and copies the drawing. This time though, we want to break the relation to the family table and make a new casting variation. Thanks in advance for any help!

Open the drawing. Do a file/rename and select the "in session" checkbox. Then open the generic part. Open the family table and rename the instance in the drawing. Pick the option "Rename the instance model that exists in session". Then delete that instance from the table. DO NOT SAVE THE GENERIC.

You now have a new drawing with a new stand alone model that is an exact duplicate of the original.

Rename is not available while connected to Windchill. You can do the exact same with the Save As in Windchill. Just open the new instance in session after it's been added to the table, open the generic and delete the instance from the table. Save the generic and the new part. All is as you wish.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back