Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Save a copy

Roger

Hey all:

What and where is the text line that will allow Pro/E to save the drawing with the model?

Roger

is this what you are looking for?
<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">save_modified_draw_models_only<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p> </O:p></H1>
<B style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">*[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">yes[/B], <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">no[/B]<O:p> </O:p>
Determines whether the system saves the model after you have changed it.
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">no[/B]<B style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">-[/B]Saves the model every time that you store the drawing.<O:p> </O:p>

> ... "will allow Pro/E to save the drawing with the model"

It's not very clear what you're after.
The way I'd interpret that is:

'save the drawing when the model is saved'

for which, I believe, there is no answer.

Guessing, along with wsylvester, at the meaning look at

rename_drawings_with_object

- - - - - - - - -

Ah!
Ok. Along with the subject header: Save a Copy
I think that's what you're after.

Edited by: jeff4136

Also, the model number and the drawing number have to be the same in order for the save a copy to save both drawing and model as new number.

(Hope this doesn't duplicate. My computer messed up.)

I was not clear on what I need. Sorry.
smiley5.gif

I want to save a copy of the model and drawing under a new number. I am doing it now, but have forgotten WHERE in Pro/E it is, so I can share this feature with my co-workers. "Write it down, dummy!"

Please be specific, as there are many ways to do things in Pro/E that are wellhidden.

Am I missing something here?

Jeff is right that is the config line "rename_drawings_with_object" that allows you to save a copy of a part with drawing.

See this also for confirmation :

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32 779&PN=1[/url]

And for save as you go to file / save as . And I think you should have a button on a toolbar, looks like "2 save's buttons".

And about "Also, the model number and the drawing number have to be the same in order for the save a copy to save both drawing and model as new number. "

I don't think it's entirely true. I think I made save a copy to a part a few weeks ago, and the part and drawing didn't have the same name. I will check this Monday morning.

I think the drawing must have the same name as the model.
(Otherwise it would look for and save any drawing referencing the model?)

I'm sort of wondering if Roger isn't looking for where the copied objects
are being written to disk.
(Help -> Fundamentals -> Pro/Engineer Menus -> The File Menu ->
Saving, Exporting, Renaming ... -> To Save a File)

Hey all:

A little mouse showed me that what I am looking for is in Tools/Options; then "find" rename_drawings_with_objects. Option "both". When you save a copy of amodel, the drawing (of the same name) will be saved with the same new name. Why this is not the default is anybody's guess.

Thanks

hi,

one model can have too many drawings. right?. if it is the default one, then when ever we r copying the model, the drawing is also copied. which occupies unneccesary space and confussion.
Edited by: sathian83

With backup it is not posible to change the name, but you can change the location for save. So..... when you make backup for drawing the model it is saved automaticaly in the new location.

When you make backup for model the drawing it is not saved.

tavi

I was wrong before.

1. If the drawing doesn't have the same name as the part it will not be saved, when youdo "save a copy".

2. If a part has 2 drawings and youdo "save a copy",PRO-Ewill save the drawing that has the same name as the part.

So in conclusion to be able to save a part with drawingthey must have the same name.

It is easier to just do File/Rename/In Session. Rename your part and then your drawing, finally save the drawing. Works every time.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back