Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rotating a Detail View

Mindripper

I have a drawing where I want to rotate a detail view. There is no obvious way to do this. A general view can be rotated, but there dose not appear to be any way to do this on a detail view. Help!

P.S. Yeah, this is incredibly easy in SolidWorks.

As a detail view comes from another view, the only way to rotate it is to rotate the parent view. Or you can make the detail view a general view and rotate it.

There just isn't an 'Easy' button in Pro/E, is there? Fifteen seconds in SolidWorks equals thirty minutes in Pro/E - if you know what you're doing.

Perhaps having a detail view at a different rotation to the parent view violates some drawing standards. I can't say that I would EVER consider doing it.

DB

Mindripper,

One more thing you can do in Pro-E, rotate the parent view as per requirement and make a partial view that would solves your problem i guess.

I ended up following PRStockhausen's advice. In my youth, I completed a course of study as a mechanical draftsman at the local junior college: yes, I am afully qualified draftsman, unlike most engineers and neven more CAD users. A rotated view is always acceptable, provided it is noted as such.

This is one of the underlying problems with Pro/E: it assumes the user is an idiot, so many Pro/E users assume that if Pro/E doesn't let you do it, it must be a violation of the rules. I thank God that I know what I'm doing and that I have used better CAD drafting systems; otherwise, I might start thinking that Pro/Ehas a great CAD drafting package.

smiley17.gif

Double click the detailed view or right click and choose properties.

Under 'View Type' category, drop the box that says 'type', at the moment it should be set to "detailed", change it to 'General'.

You can then do what you want with the drawinging view as its now orphaned from the parent view, including rotate it.

As as been suggested, be sure to add a drawing note along the lines of : "Detail view rotated for clarity" etc

smiley1.gif

Mindripper said:
many Pro/E users assume that if Pro/E doesn't let you do it, it must be a violation of the rules.

not at all. I know that SW's historic inability to create a first view as a section is not a violation of any rule but a pure failing of the software. Better to have no easy button than no button at all.

DB

P.S. I lent my drawing standard to a guy about 20 years ago who never returned it so I apologise if my memory is a little rusty.

Why would anyone want to create a section view on a drawing as the first view? Now that does sound like a violation of the drafting standards. Kinda sounds like a button that shouldn't exist. But I'm glad Pro/E lets the user do it. After all, CAD software will never teach anyone to be a draftsman, and I was taught that a drawing's primary purpose is to serve as a document for interpreting the design, and violations of the rules that faciliitated this interpretation were acceptable. Maybe SW will let you do it now: I really don't know if it will, nor have I ever attempted it. You can certainly create section views in models in SW: I do it all the time.

Mindripper said:
Why would anyone want to create a section view on a drawing as the first view? Now that does sound like a violation of the drafting standards.

mindripper,

I agree that it is rather a funny way to go about the drawing process, but where i am at the moment onan assemblr drawing, if there are set-up dimensions that they want to show, they detail one if not many section views to do so.... wierd but the way they do it non-the-less

Kev

We make a LOT of turned parts that can be fully described with a single sectional view. In most cases an end-on view gives no additional useful information. The section views are exported as dxfs to the CNC lathes for blanking and profiling.

On a single sheet we may have 10 to 20 parts each shown as a single section and a drawing may have 2 - 4 sheets with this number of parts on. If were forced to show a cutting plane view they would only get in the way.

Also our stand assemblies vaguely resemble gear clusters on a gearbox shaft. Only a sectional view gives useful information because of all the buried washers, circlips, keys, bearings, spacers etc. Our assembly drawings typically have one sectional view per sheet for each of the 8 - 15 stands on a typical machine.

It may be unusual but it works well and is by far the most practical way for us.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back