Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Replace Face"? (as in Solid Edge)

Roland J

Hi

I'm new to Pro E. I've been using Sold Edge in recent years.

There doesn't appear to be a "replace Face" command(?). Can anyone point me in the right direction. This was an invaluable tool in SE... it's hard to believe there is not an equivalant in Pro E

Thanks in advance

Roland (using Wildfire 5)

what does "replace face" do???

Could it be that you want to replace a solid surface with another?

If so, use : Edit- Offset - replace surface feature.

//Tobias

yes,as tobbo has replied, replace face is embede inside offset feature, and its available only if you preselect the face you want to replace. its more powerfull than other CAD programs i've seen. for example you can choose a datum plane as a replacement surface, which is not possible in solidworks and perhaps solidedge.
View attachment 5069

Edited by: solidworm

Guys

Edit >Offset is greyed out on my menu (?)

I'm working on solid PRT objects... does this only work with surfaces perhaps?

thanks again in advance

Roland

well, as i said,you have to preselect the face you want to replace.then offset will be enabled.

Edited by: solidworm

it will be greyed out until you preselect the surface, filter to geometry to pick the surface

My cursor will only highlight 'features'. I have 'highlight geometry' ticked in the 'show' drop-down' (above the model tree). I can't seem topre-select an individual solid surface

I'mclearly missing something obvious here
smiley5.gif

...or higlight the surf by clicking on it, move away with your cursor...move back to the surf and click again. Then it should be "pink" as in Kenppy.s pic.

(or change the selection filter)

That should give you the possibility to use "offset" command.

//Tobias

Hi Roland -
another good feature to know is Edit - Solidify. It can be used to remove or add material. take a look at these pictures for illustration. here the Keep in mind, for this feature, you need to have the surface selected. There are some requirements, for eg. in this case the surface has to intersect the entire solid.

View attachment 5072

View attachment 5073

A couple of things that will help you:

The commands under the 'Edit' menu generally take existing geometry and manipulate it. As such, they are 'object -> action', in other words you select the object first then the command. So, the commands will be unavailable until you select appropriate geometry.

The commands under the 'Insert' menu generally add new things, so they are the reverse - 'action -> object'.

The 'Smart Filter', which is the default selection mode (in the lower right in WF4, maybe not in WF5?) has a hierarchy of what it highlights. In part mode, it only highlights features until you select a feature. Then it will highlight individual geometry entities of that feature. Many long time pro/E users are frustrated by it, but it works fairly well once you are used to it.

So, if you want to select a surface of a protrusion, first highlight and select (LMB) the protrusion. Then, shift your mouse to reset the highlighting, and highlight and select the surface (LMB).

You may already have figured out that if you hold your mouse over the model and click the RMB, Pro/E will toggle through the items that are under your mouse, 1 by 1.

Thanks for the tips Doug.

Playing with this "Edit.Offset" ....

It seems to only pick planes as it's destination surface (the 2nd pick)... iow, i cant seem to select aPRT's solidsurface. [using 'replace surface feature]

You can select planes or surface features, not solid surfaces. If you want to use a solid surface, make a surface copy of it first.

To do that, select the surface you want to copy and select edit -> copy then edit -> paste then complete the feature. Now you have a surface copy of the solid surface taht you can select.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back