Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

repeat reagion problem

sanjeevkar1

can we have alphebets instead of numaric number in repeat reagion index.

example i want a,b,c.................. instead of 1,2,3.........

thanks in advance

I don't think so, I mean what would you do if you have more then 20-25components, there aren't enough letters
smiley2.gif

You know, you made me curious about this, I searched a bit and what do you know, it can be done.
smiley2.gif
I learn something everyday.

I didn't tried to see if it actually works but give it a try. If they say it's working then it must be true.

How to use Alpha-Indexing in a Drawing Repeat Region Table?

Details
Additional Information

Description
-----------------
How to use letters as opposed to numbers to index a BOM table in a drawing?

Alternate Technique
-----------------
See Resolution below.

Resolution
-----------------
1. With a repeat region already created, select #Table menu #Repeat Region #Relations and select the region.

2. Enter the two following relations: letters = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
index = extract (letters,rpt_index,1)

3. Double click on the first cell of the index column in the table. The cell should highlight in red.

4. From the Report Sym menu, select #rpt #rel #User Defined, and type: index

5. From the Table menu, select #Repeat Region #Update Tables

THANKS BUDDY ITS WORKING WELL
smiley1.gif
BUT ONE MORE PROBLEM ARISE
smiley19.gif
BOM IS NOT GETTING UPDATED (IT IS STILL SHOWING NUMERIC VALUE)

even if you update the table like it says at #5?

Do a update tabel, update drawing....

If it still doesn't work I would suggest you save the tabel, then delete it from your drawing, and put it again tabel / retrieve.

I just tried it and at my end is working
Edited by: vlad1979

Glad to hear that works, but... What will happen when you run through the alphabetof single letters and have to go the AA, AB, AC, etc., etc. ?

That's what I was saying if there are no more letters how to add AA, BB ? Maybe with some relations in repeat region.

To put AA, BB, CC is simple just change this to:

letters = "AABBCCDD.........."

and put index = extract (letters,rpt_index,2) where 2 is the length to which letters are extracted, in this case 2 letters.

But how to write a relation that will now when the last letter Z is shown in BOM to add AA. If I remember correctly in C++ there is "for" which will count the letters (don't know exactly) but in PRO-E you can't add "for" in relations.

i am giving BOM by following methods:

Table/BOB Balloons/Set region.

i select the repeat region table (containg the relation)

then click on Create balloon and click on the view

if this is right way to assign BOM. then why the hell i am not getting the result.
smiley7.gif

I've noticed the same problem. I applied the relation to one of my existing drawings just to check it out. The indexing was fine, but the letters did not propagate to my BOM balloons. This was after much regen-ing and updating of all sheets.

Any suggestions? (more forsanjeevkar than myself)

The other day Ionlytried the relations and saw the BOM updated, didn't looked at the balloons
smiley36.gif

Iwill try this tomorrow, as I don't have acces to PRO-E right now, but try table/ bom balloons / set param (follow the messeges that pro-e give you). As I remember click on the repeat region or the balloons, then click on a cell that contains the A, B symbols. Should work, it makes no sense to be able to change the index to letters and not be able to show them in balloons.

Next day.... tried the above and it's working, so table/ bom balloons / set param

We still need to figure out how to add AA, BB, CC when there are no moreletters
smiley2.gif

Edited by: vlad1979

vlad1979 said:
To put AA, BB, CC is simple just change this to:

letters = "AABBCCDD.........."

and put index = extract (letters,rpt_index,2) where 2 is the length to which letters are extracted, in this case 2 letters.

This actualy doesnt work for me. It assigns 2 letters to each index, but it only incramets the starting letter by 1 each time. The result is

AA
AB
BB
BC
CC
CD etc.

I may have spoken, again, without looking this to the end of it, sorry
smiley2.gif

It wasn't as easy as I said but you can generate AA, BB, CC, DD.

Basically you need to generate odd numbers using the pro-e index to be able to extract from each 2 letters. That's easy 2x+1 will generate odd numbers (using x=0,1,2,3,4...) But pro-e index doesn't have 0 so that's why I used a if statement to force it to show 1. ( a little explanation
smiley2.gif
)

Try this:

letters = "BBBBBBCCDDEEFFGGHHIIJJKKLLMMNNOOPPQQRRSSTTUUVVWWXXYYZZ"
if rpt_index==1
index="AA"
else
index = extract (letters,2*rpt_index+1,2)
endif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back