Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Renaming a part... without PDM

zpaolo

I could not find an answer for this: I have no PDM now, and I'd like to rename some parts that are used in many assemblies. As far as I can tell, I'll have to open ALL the assemblies, open the part, rename the part and save everything... is this correct? Isn't there an easier way to rename a part and keep dependencies in assemblies?

I have good programming skills, maybe there's a way to program something like this?

Paolo

PS: Another thing that bugs me, it would be sooo nice to be able to see part parameters like material, descriptions etc in the "open part" dialog box... but it's not possible as far as I know :/

That's the way it is, & don't forget one or you are screwed.

There used to be a way when Pro/E files were strictly text based and didn't have a checksum built in to them. You could do a manual search & replace using a text editor or if you were so inclined you could create a script file & use something like grep or egrep to do it for you.

Ifyou miss an assembly, try this.

Open the part you renamed and rename it back to what the assembly is looking for. Then open the assembly. Then rename the part back to what you originally renamed it and save the assembly.

After doing this, try to open one of the assemblies you did NOT miss. Everything should be fine.

The biggest pain is all of the drawings. The drawing will not reflect the part name change, even if it is named the same as the part.

Hope this help.

Jim

If the part you're changing the name of is in say 50 assemblies, ProE only allows about 20 windows open at any one time, does this mean you'd have to rename the part with 20 assemblies open, close these 20 assemblies, put the part back to the original name, open the next 20 assemblies the part is in, rename the part and so on with the remainder of the assemblies and then the drawings???

I have renamed parts but usually we only have them in one of 2 assemblies so it's not too bad but I can see it causing a major headache if it's across lots off assemblies and not having PDM.

No, you can close the windows of the first (I think the limit is 15) assemblies, they will still be in memory. Open the other assemblies, closing as many windows as necessary. Once all the assemblies are open (& assuming Pro/E has not crashed from running out of memory), rename the part and start saving the assemblies one at a time. This would be a very painful process, you would probably have to work from a checklist to make sure you didn't forget one.

One thing that might help is with everything that needs to be in session (assemblies, drawings)and the part renamed change the setting for prompt_on_exit to yes temporarily and just close ProE. You may even want or need to change the save_objects setting temporarily.

Thank you for the replies, I see the rename is not so easy... I think that with VB or Java it would be possible to program a sort of "mini PDM" but maybe this is too complex as a solution and I don't have the time to dedicate to it :)

Paolo

You can record a mapkey.

First open just one asm abc.asm, where the part to rename is in, say 1234.prt

Now record the mapkey something like this:

#open 1234.prt
#rename to 12345.prt
#Quit window
#save (the abc.asm)
#open 12345.prt
#rename back to 1234.prt
#Quit window (1234.prt)
#Quit window (abc.asm)
#Erase not displayed

Now open the next asm on your list and just run the mapkey. Voila!

The numbers will be visible and fixed in the mapkey. So you can change 1234 and 12345 next time you shal rename something else.
What version of ProE do you have? If WF5 maybe I can send you a mapkey.

NB: As the mapkey is undoing the rename 1234every time you must finish up by renaming 1234.prt and drawing to 12345 when all the asm's are fixed!

PS: or even shorter mapkey: record this and the various "OK" and so on.

#open 1234.prt
#rename to 12345.prt
#Quit window
#save (current is the abc.asm)
#erase current
#open 12345.prt (again)
#rename to 1234.prt (again)
#erase current

Edited by: GunnarHansen

I suggest you can copy the part/drawing to the new name (do not rename but copy) and use the replace function. in that way you canadapt one assembly at a time.

The mapkey in WF5 looks like this:

mapkey rn @MAPKEY_LABEL Rename part i one assembly;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdModelOpen` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `DLG_PREVIEW_POST` `file_open`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Input `file_open` `Inputname` `1234.prt`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `file_open` `Inputname` `1234.prt`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Inputname`;~ Command `ProCmdModelRename` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Input `rename` `InputPanel2` `12345`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `rename` `InputPanel2` `12345`;~ Activate `rename` `InputPanel2`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`;~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `PREVIEW_POPUP_TIMER` \
mapkey(continued) `main_dlg_w2:pHTLeft.AssyTree:<NULL>`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `File`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `File.psh_close_win`;~ Command `ProCmdModelSave` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_saveas` `OK`;\
mapkey(continued) `main_dlg_w1:pHTLeft.AssyTree:<NULL>`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `File.psh_close_win`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdModelEraseNotDisp` ;~ Activate `file_erase_nd` `ok_pb`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdModelOpen` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Trail `UI Desktop` `UI Desktop` `DLG_PREVIEW_POST` `file_open`;\
mapkey(continued) `file_open:ph_list.Filelist:<NULL>`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Input `file_open` `Inputname` `12345.prt`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `file_open` `Inputname` `12345.prt`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Inputname`;~ Command `ProCmdModelRename` ;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Input `rename` `InputPanel2` `1234`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `rename` `InputPanel2` `1234`;~ Activate `rename` `InputPanel2`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`;~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`;\
mapkey(continued) `main_dlg_w1:pHTLeft.AssyTree:<NULL>`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `File.psh_close_win`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdModelEraseNotDisp` ;~ Activate `file_erase_nd` `ok_pb`;

As I do have PDMLink I am not sure it works for you. I can only rename "in session" when renaming in pore.But you can still have a look. It will look similar when you record. In a texteditor you can find and replace 1234 and 12345 with your actual filenames.

This way it should work with only 2 clicks per asm: "rn" Go for it!
Edited by: GunnarHansen

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back