Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rename Number in PDMLink 8.0

jfixsen

I've got a part in PDMLink that has a Number that I would like to change. When the part was originally created, it was stand alone. What I would like to do is create an instance of a generic part with that same file name and name. I've changed the name and file name of the old part so that the new one in the family table is unique, but it assigns the number to be the same as the name, and it's telling me that it is not unique because of the number. I would like to change the number of the old part to be the same as the name, file name, or give it a random number, but I can't seem to figure out how to change it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It's early Monday morning so bare with me. This all depends on how your Windchill is setup. As you've figured out, Windchill PDMLink requires that all files on the system be unique. That may either be filename or number. Some common setups try to keep the number the same as the filename (name is mapped to the PTC common name). Some questions for you:

1. Are you the 'creator" of the part in PDMLink? In other words, are you the one that uploaded it and do you have modify permissions to that file (or folder the file is in)?

2. When you first checkin a part to PDMLink, does Windchill assign the number based on the filename?

Windchill is a little bit quirky when it comes to family tables anyways because it treats each instance as it's own separate "CAD doc". A CAD doc is the "file" you see in PDMLink, which is a placeholder for the actual CAD file.

I think that we got it figured out actually. We disabled all of the autonumbering for EPM Documents, and it allowed me to revise the number of the old file in the database. With the autonumbering off, the name, file name, and number are all the same, which is what we wanted from the start.

jfixsen said:
I think that we got it figured out actually. We disabled all of the autonumbering for EPM Documents, and it allowed me to revise the number of the old file in the database. With the autonumbering off, the name, file name, and number are all the same, which is what we wanted from the start.

Great. We didn't care for the Autonumber ourselfs since we are using a logical filenaming system. Just an FYI, it would probably be good practice not to have the name the same as the filename. This usually occurs when the Pro/E parts don't have a common name assigned. The common name can use more characters than the file name, and is better for a description. You definately want to keep your filenames as short as possible. In other words if they start approaching 25 characters, nip it in the bud!

This is from the Help Center.
<DIV id=styler-id1.1.1.8.5.7.1 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0pt 10pt 0in; COLOR: #47697f; TEXT-INDENT: 0in; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.1; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: left; hyphenate: false" ch:="title">Turning Off Autonumbering</DIV>
<DIV style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt">
<DIV =" x-section-1-0" id=styler-id1.1.1.8.5.7.2.1>
<DIV style="MARGIN-TOP: 7pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.3; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt; widows: 3; orphans: 3">Assuming that autonumbering for a specific object type has been set up, you can turn off autonumbering in a specific context by including the following AttrConstraint tag for the number attribute in the context:</DIV>
<DIV> <AttrConstraint id="number"
algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GatherAttributeCons traints">
</AttrConstraint></PRE></DIV>
<DIV style="MARGIN-TOP: 7pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.3; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt; widows: 3; orphans: 3">Using this tag, which has no Arg tags specified for the constraints, sets the display field to a text box so that the user can manually enter the number.</DIV></DIV></DIV>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back