Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Relief on a formed part

evan1110

Hello,

I am modeling a five sided box in sheetmetal. When this part is formed,I am looking to createsome relief on the corners. I want the formed walls as close as possible to each other. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

You can create an extruded box then convert it to sheetmetal using shell. Then use the smt_conversion in the icon list and you can specify which edges and corners will become the bent walls. I'm not sure what version you are using, but it works for me in WF2.

Dan,

What version of WF are you running, because if you want to do this as a set of sheet metalwalls (rather than a conversion
smiley18.gif
) then the answer will be different.

In WF3 it is pretty straight forward, whereas in WF1 you will need quite a few extra walls to complete the task

Kev

A technique I use a lot is this:
<UL>
<LI>Start with a solid model and create the unshelled form of the box</LI>
<LI>Create rounds equal to the material thickness + your inside bend radius wherever you want a bend.</LI>
<LI>Create rounds on the edges that will need relieved equal to the wall thickness.</LI>
<LI>Convert to sheet metal using a shell.</LI>
<LI>Use a surface rip to remove all the surfaces of the second set of rounds, the ones equal to the wall thickness.</LI>[/list]

You'll now have nice, flush edges.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back