Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Regen Problems w/ Family Tables

Rbrgr83

Ok, I've got an assembly which is pretty heavily relation-driven. It's also somewhat complex in that it has some sub-sub-assemblies, all of which I have drawings for. The problem I'm running into is making sure that changes made in the relations propagate to all of the parts, most noteably reflected in the drawings.

The specific problem is that one of my sub-assemblies has a family tableinstance which is not updating properly. The generic version is used in the main assembly, and the 2nd instance is used only in the drawing to show internal details. It does, however, have esentialy the same dimensions. Even after doing a regen in the drawing, this 2nd instance is not properly updating.

I'm sure that this is due to it being a separate instance, but:
a) why are only some dimensions updating and not the others
b) why are the others not updating if I only have 1 variable in my family table (which is the last feature in the model tree, and actualy is updating properly)

Is there a way, possibly with a relation in the drawing, to force the 2nd instance to update....

Anyway, if anyone knows what I am talking about and can help, that would be much appreciated.

They do not.

I forgot to mention that I can remedy the "problem" by opening the instance model and regen-ing it. However, I would like to be able to remove this step from the process if possible.

Rb,

I'm curious about this one, when you regen'd in the drawing, did you happen to doa View>Update>All Sheets.Not promising anything, but maybe a double regen in the assembly, followed by the above might get you an answer....Gotta be worth a try

Kev

"Open the model and regen it" was the solution I was going to suggest. However, I can understand your desire to avoid this. You can regen it from within the drawing. Perhaps trying more than one regen will solve it - especially if you have out-of-order relations or circular relations(If you have this problem, you will want to resolve it because it can drive you crazy). I don't know of a way to make it update otherwise. Pro/e can be quirky and a pain sometimes, can't it.

There are several ways to get instances to regenerate. While in the generic, go to tools/family table tools/verify. This will regen the instances that you select (or all of them). Also, in the drawing of the the instance, if you make that view the active model and hit the regen button in drawing mode it will regenerate. It is frustrating that there is no way to make Pro/E regen everything in session that has changes and need to regen. Sounds like an enhancement request.

dr_gallup said:
... It is frustrating that there is no way to make Pro/E regen everything in session that has changes and need to regen. Sounds like an enhancement request.

I believe that when you regenerate thechild modelpro/eautomatically regenstheparent thatis currently in session - applyingthe parentsupdates toits regeneratedchild. I know that the reverse of this doesn't work (regening the parent does not cause an automaticupdatefor the child - you must manuallyregen the child). And I sometimes wish it did. I agree that it would be nice for this to work in both directions with grandchildren and great grandchildren. Although regen times might get out of control in some cases. Perhaps a menu or config option to set and controlthis would be a nice enhancement.

As the dr_ suggests, tools/verify is the "auto/manual" method to regenerate all of the immediate children (table instances)of a generic model (whether or not they are in session). If you still have problems with your instance I believe that it is likely that you have problems with your relations. Is your table dimension or parameter affected by your relations?
Edited by: rmckinley

Thanks for all of your suggestions, but it looks like i'm going to have to chalk it up to Pro-E quirky-ness.

As I said in my previous post, I am able to solve the problem by regen-ing the instance in question. However, I was trying to set it up so that all I would need to do is regen the overall ASM or possibly the drawing without having to open up the instance or the generic part it is based on. Just like what RM was saying, it doesnt look like that is possible.

Thanks for all your help everyone
Edited by: Rbrgr83

Update:

I thought I had tried this already, but I am able to regen my instance view properly if I make it the active model in the drawing and regen a 2nd time.

This is significantly less work tham fishing for the instantce or parent model, opening, regening, and returning to the drawing.

smiley4.gif
thanks again everyone

When it takes 2 regens to work that means you have multiple levels of relations and the values have to propagate through. If you have feature relations and part relations then it can take two regens to get all the values changed. You can fix this by replacing all the feature relations with part relations and then sorting them so the regen occurs in the correct order. I'm unsure about the order of part and assy relations and whether or not you can fix that situation.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back