Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Random 1 or 2 second freezes

MartinBooker

Hi,

I'm running WF3 M030 here and just recently (the last couple of weeks or so) I've started experiencing random 'freezes' while using proe. Its the same in modelling, assembly and drawing modes and can happen the same with 1 window or multiple windows open.

It doesn't crash out completely, just the whole UI locks for a second or two and then comes back. With the task manager open I expected to see one of my CPU cores locked solid during the freeze but it doesn't ( I also have task manager set to the quickest refresh rate in case it wasn't polling the cpu frequently enough to catch them).

Anyone else had the same issue ??

Only thing I know of which might cause this behaviour is using a non-certified graphics card (e.g. not a Quadro but a normal GeForce card) with non-optimal drivers. Have you changed your graphics card and/or graphics drivers lately?

Nah been running the same hardware for 12 months now and had no problems like this. We have been having a few network issues with random short 'outages' so could this be the problem? I discounted this as whenever network problems have occurred before it simply pops up the 'cannot find license server' error after a period of time but doesn't freeze in the same manner.

Just got my hands on Wildfire 4 so will see if an upgrade solves the problem. Thankyou for your reply

I've experienced three different reasons for such lag.

1. Running old 16-bit database applications parallell with pro/e

2. Memory issues. Have had locks up to a minute, came occasionally and due to one bad memory slot. Hard to find but when replaced problems dissapeared.

3. Network. Since we changed from Novell to ActiveDirectory this has become an issue more often, we are working against a network server. Can lock the UI without loosing the licence. Doesnt show up in the task manager either since it's not related to your own CPU, memory or HD.

Just my own experiences, I'm sure there are more issues to put on this list.

/Anders

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back