Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Radial Pattern

paulgress

Sorry for my rant, but today I'm just struggling to do a pattern revolving around an axis greater then 180 degrees. Why do we still have to fight this software at WF4 for what should be a simple pattern. Come on PTC, FIX IT.

Paul

I'm on WF4, I would have figured it would be fixed by now. I know whats happening, when you go greater than 180 degrees around a plane, it reverses its orientation. You have to struggle somehow attaching protrusions in crazy ways to avoid using datum planes. PTC should create a new type of datum plane, one that is only attached to an axis, only faces one way. All I know is it shouldn't be NOT WORKING at this release.

I am sure this has been posted a million times before but make your sketcher orientation plane a datum-on-the-fly and you should have no problems. Far tidier than the alternative creating a datum plane at an angle, creating your feature, grouping, then patterning the group.

DB

Can you show a picture or give some details on how you are creating the pattern?Just curious as I have never seen this problem and I've been trying to recreate it.

that problem does not occur if you use wf and the new wildfire pattern tools as opposite to the pattern by radial dimension. ie. use Axis instead of Dimension.

If on the other hand you want to use the dimension tool. there are several ways. PTC would teach to use a separate datum and reference that datum in the next sketch.

I would usually teach to excerise the one sketch by using a sketched point with a sketched centerline. Once you get one feature to work, exercise the geometry to pass the 190 rule. once that geometry modified past the 190 value you know that that geometry will pattern.

Edited by: design-engine

i have had this problem in the past also. We had tried using centerlines and experienced the 190 rule. (like the label, cheersdesign engine) I asked PTC people about this and was told to use datum planes as they have a positive and negative side. i found i still had the same problem.Practioners told me to use a construction line. (draw line, rightclick, say construction)use this for your angular measurement. i have never had a problem since. But i don't understand why axis patterndoen't work for you. haven't had a problem since that came out in wf 2 was it?????

I think PTC told people to make it two features. First a DTM then a cut for the hole. The group then gets patterned. I like doing it in one feature but I use the centerline with a sketched point first then the centerline. Exercise the geometry then get the geometry to pass the 190 rule then your ready to pattern.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back