Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Quick access to default datums?

m-d-e

Is there a quick way to access the default datum planes at the top of the model tree? Scrolling back and forth is getting, maybe not time consuming, but annoying at least. Especially when you are working in the middle of the tree to add some feature. In those cases you just can't pull the scroll bar all the way down.

Maybe there is a clever way to add mapkeys which highlights these frequently used planes?
If it were possible to split the model tree just below the default datums it would be great.

Any ideas?

I found this which could be useful in a search. You create a reference feature and specify an intent name which you can search by which will limit the results returned.

Clever to use the search function.
I did this:
Search for datum plane named e.g. FRONT. Click the double arrow to move it to the selected items list and close.
That works great. The problem is that when I want to make another search, the previous plane is still in the items selected list. How do I clear it?

You can select and multi-select items in the selected items list and RMB>Remove. And the option I was refering to before can be found or placed on the Datum toolbar or foundunder Insert>Model Datum>Reference. You can specify an intent for the datums and search for the planes by that intent name. It will add additional features in the tree but can reduce the number of items returned if you have alot of datums.

If you have hundreds of features you don't need to mess with, you can put them in groups. This will greatly clean up the feature tree. You can leave the groups or delete them later. The creation and deletion of the groups will take some regen time so you have to balance that against the scrolling or searching.

why not use layers? Put the default planes on a layer , andput the rest of your datums on other layers. (then use hide/unhide)

//Tobias

kdem said:
You can select and multi-select items in the selected items list and RMB>Remove. And the option I was refering to before can be found or placed on the Datum toolbar or foundunder Insert>Model Datum>Reference. You can specify an intent for the datums and search for the planes by that intent name. It will add additional features in the tree but can reduce the number of items returned if you have alot of datums.
Forgot to say I was trying to make a mapkey for each of the three datum planes. Is there a way to clear the selected items list without using RMB>remove?

dr_gallup said:
If you have hundreds of features you don't need to mess with, you can
put them in groups. This will greatly clean up the feature tree. You
can leave the groups or delete them later. The creation and deletion of
the groups will take some regen time so you have to balance that
against the scrolling or searching.
Yeah, I try to use groups a lot. Although it's not always easy to group them and some features end up between the groups in the tree. It could be that it's just me being lazy as well...

tobbo said:
why not use layers? Put the default planes on a layer , andput the
rest of your datums on other layers. (then use hide/unhide)
I think I'll try this next. Thanks.

Here's a mapkey to reset the find tool:

Code:
mapkey /resetfind @MAPKEY_NAMEReset Find;@MAPKEY_LABELReset Find;\<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `ProCmdMdlTreeSearch.edit_t`;\<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio` `Feature`;\
<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;\<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `LookByOptionMenu` `Feature`;\<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `LookByOptionMenu`;\<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Select `selspecdlg0` `RuleTab` 1 `Attributes`;\
<br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">mapkey(continued) ~ Select `selspecdlg0` `RuleTypes` 1 `Name`

There's an excellent, if long, thread on layers here. You can create rule based layers that will place all items on a layer and then manually create a layer for your default planes. Then, hide all layers and isolate (not unhide) the default planes layer and you'll only see your default planes.

m-d-e said:
Forgot to say I was trying to make a mapkey for each of the three datum planes. Is there a way to clear the selected items list without using RMB>remove?

Going back and looking at this it appears to happen when you have something already selected when you select the search icon. The only way to keep this from happening appears to be to make sure you have nothing selected before selecting the search icon.

kdem said:
Going back and looking at this it appears to happen when you have something already selected when you select the search icon. The only way to keep this from happening appears to be to make sure you have nothing selected before selecting the search icon.
Ah, you're right. It works perfectly now. Thanks!

Here's the mapkeys:
Code:
!-
mapkey ht @MAPKEY_LABELHighlight top plane;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `Edit`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `Edit.Find`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;~ Close `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`1 `Datum`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `ExtRulesLayout.ExtBasicNameLayout.BasicNameList` \
mapkey(continued) `TOP`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `EvaluateBtn`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `ApplyBtn`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `CancelButton`;
!-
mapkey hr @MAPKEY_LABELHighlight right plane;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `Edit.Find`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Open `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;~ Close `selspecdlg0` `SelOptionRadio`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Update `selspecdlg0` `ExtRulesLayout.ExtBasicNameLayout.BasicNameList` \
mapkey(continued) `RIGHT`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `EvaluateBtn`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `ApplyBtn`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `CancelButton`;
!-
mapkey hf @MAPKEY_LABELHighlight front plane;\
mapkey(continued) `FRONT`;~ Activate `selspecdlg0` `EvaluateBtn`;\
!-

And the icons:
View attachment 4858

I just noticed that when I highlight one of these planes, the model tree automatically scrolls up to them. A substatial point with these mapkeys is thus lost.

I mostly use this when I create a feature and need a sketch plane and reference. I think I'm going to keep them for a while anyway so that I can easily add references in sketch mode.

Thanks everyone for the help!

OK, I'm mot completly sure what your looking for. But I have 3 mapkeys created, front_plane, top_plane, and right_plane, All on the side menu. The mapkeys created just selects the plane, i can pick any of those whenever i need to rather than go thru the tree to find the plane i need.

not sure if that helps but just another idea.

Gary

Yes, that's exactly what I use them for.

When you use your mapkeys, does the model tree scroll up to the plane as well? The mapkeys I have now do just that. I would prefer if they didn't.

If you are in the model tree all you have to do is hit the "home" key on your keyboard and it will take you to the top of the model tree. That is the easiest solution.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back